2021-04-17

My week(s) in books (not only) #61 - The Sunday Salon

   

 
 
Hello, I'm linking back to The sunday salon held by Deb at Readerbuzz. Click on the links to access the posts and discover plenty of great bloggers who are dying to share their book reviews, and other things, with you ! 

 *°*° LIFE UPDATES °*°* 

Hi there, it's been a while ! The weather was grey, the temperatures were fresh, the sun had gone but the rain was there, I felt a little out of sorts and decided to take a break from internet. The sun reappeared, so I kicked myself up and went back to blogging again. I hope my resolution will hold some time. We're still on lockdown, just going out for grocery shopping or walking places I know by heart is getting old.

I tried commenting on Wordpress blogs, it all started well then I had "the link you followed is expired" and all that stuff, so I played a bit with the Badger privacy app then got fed up and gave up. I'll try some other day, when I'm more up to fighting with a computer. Again.

I don't sound very joyful, do I ! But I'm getting better and as tomorrow will be my partner's birthday, I'm posting this today and will go through the comments starting monday. Have a great end of the week, as much as possible, and stay safe :)

 *°*° THIS MONTH ON THE BLOG °*°*


 
 
  *°*° BOOKS READ °*°* 
 
A French classic from the 1920s
 
A New Zealand/Briths mystery classic from the 1930s
 
 
This one received the Akutagawa award in 2016 and is not translated in English
 
 
 Book #2 of The Name of the wind
 
Book #0.5, but it can be read in no special order

A  Victorian retelling of Madame Bovary

Excellent historical Victorian mystery
 
 *°*° CURRENTLY READING °*°*  
 
 
"The ladies' paradise" by Zola - group read
 
 
Continuing the Murderbot series

   *°*° BOOK HAUL °*°* 
 
I recently read the first, so I needed the next one
 
Because if you bought 2 paperbacks from this editor,
you got this lovely poster as a present, I bought... 3 paperbacks :
 
Sadly, you just have "The restaurant of love regained" translated in English - 
in French, we have several titles by this author that I love
 
A Korean novella, not available in English...
 
A Japanese novella, not translated in English (the French are lucky !)
 
Vegan -  japanese cooking - easy, how could I resist ? 
 
A great French classic, which I love and already have in paperback,
but the cover of this hardback was irresistible. You can't see it, but it's shiny !


"Sweet bean paste" - I had it on hold last year at the library
just before you-know-what happened, so I finally bought it
 
it was on sale, so I had to read it !
 
 
 
And thanks to Helen, I snatched these two for free :
 

   
As you can see, my book buying ban is gone with the wind ! Partly physical temptation - the books were right there in front of me in the bookstore 
- partly virtual temptation - many sales online this week. Oh well !
 
 *°*° ON THE NET °*°*  
 
 
The art & science of soap making, a lovely video in a beautiful Irish shop 
(they have a online shop too, if you're tempted - I know I am)

And for something completely different, this is a playlist on a YT channel entirely dedicated to the Kingkiller chronicle. Great character studies, great world exploration, great illustrations borrowed from Deviant art. It gave me much food for thought. Read the books before you watch those so you know what the youtuber is talking about ! Awesome !
 

 

17 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about gray days and a stepping-back from writing...it's been like that here, too. It's not yet morning here, and the birds are all singing, and it's delightfully cool, if overcast.

    I'm afraid you have definitely stepped away from your book-buying ban, but I won't scold you; it's completely understandable. And look at all the lovelies you have brought home. I'm particularly interested in hearing about the second book of Coffee. I do hope you will read that one soon.

    I read my first Zola last year, and now I understand Zoladdiction. I'm waiting for my Zola this year, though, until Paris in July. I do hope we will have Paris in July.

    Happy birthday to your partner! Let's keep our chins high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's overcast and rainy today too, and the rest of the week, same next week it seems so far, so much for the end of lockdown...
      The book buying ban was too much to bear, I'm afraid ! But I know I would be understood here ;) If you come to Paris in July and if my library is opened then, maybe we can meet :) Thanks Deb !

      Delete
  2. I see a few books that interest me. My reading is picking up but I'm still not reading as much as you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't worry, I haven't been reading much lately, mostly watching Korean dramas ! But I finally got the strength to read books again :) Thanks Vicki !

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your partner! I am sorry to hear you are on lockdown again. So many places are it seems. My little patch of the world has just started opening up again. We always seem to be a bit behind where I live and I'm nervous about the pandemic getting worse again. At least more people are vaccinated now. That's a step in the right direction.

    I really want to read Before the Coffee Gets Cold. I am glad you liked it. I hope you enjoy all your new books and current reads!

    Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, and happy birthday to your partner tomorrow! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)

    I need to get to the Murderbot books (book five is next for me). The vegan Japanese cooking book has my interest.

    That Youtube channel on Rothfuss' world looks fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a long list. Since our immunizations took hold (we think & hope) I have been reading much less and doing more social things, mainly with friends who are also vaccinated. So my list would be far shorter than yours.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the birthday is enjoyable for your partner and you. Sometimes a break is needed and glad your sunshine is coming out to cheer you up. I've only been going to grocery shopping every two weeks and my daily walks so I get your need to see something new. :)

    I've enjoyed seeing all the books you read or got this past month. The poster is gorgeous. I just read the most recent Murderbot and most recent Anne Perry and loved them both.

    Have a great month, Iza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you back on The Sunday Post! I also haven't been as active on the blog as I would have liked. But hey, life gets busy and when it slows down a bit, we tend to just do nothing!

    I've seen there are new interfaces coming on blogger again regarding the email following. Gosh, I'm so tired of of all the computer lingo and things! I don't understand about a third of any of these!

    Hope you will have a good week and happy reading!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you got a couple free books in amongst the purchases. I, too, am having trouble not buying books. My rule has been that I can't buy more than the number I read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you hd a more enjoyable Sunday! Yes, we are fortunate to read both English and French, so we have access to many more books in translation. Those books you list here and only available in French so far, are they worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Sweet Bean Paste, in English. Lovely short novel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of your books look lovely but I’m gravitating towards the Japanese ones, the post is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, sorry you are having trouble commenting on WordPress. I sometimes have trouble with comments using my phone, but on the computer it's fine. I just wish there were a way to get notified of comment replies on Blogger blogs - I love the WordPress reader for that, but not everybody uses WP.

    It's tempting to do a lot of book buying these days just because we cannot do much else. I read How To Be a Victorian - that was interesting! Enjoy all your picks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great book reading! I read the first Kingkiller book a few years ago. I need to reread and get the second one in. I loved it.

    You have some great Japanese books on here. I'll have to add some to my list.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope the sun came out there. I'm waiting for the sun here too! You have a lot of books going at once. I like the pretty poster they gave you. Gosh I'd put that up somewhere. Enjoy your stack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday to your partner! I didn't realize there was a follow-up to Before the Coffee Gets Cold. I'll need to look for that if I enjoy the first one.

    Hope you've been doing well!

    ReplyDelete