2021-04-15

Ngaio MARSH : Vintage murder - Roderick Alleyn #5

The leading lady of a theater company touring New Zealand was stunningly beautiful. No one - including her lover - understood why she married the company's pudgy producer. But did she rig a huge jeroboam of champagne to kill her husband during a cast party ? Did her sweetheart ? Or was another villain waiting in the wings ? On a holiday down under, Inspector Roderick Alleyn must uncork this mystery and uncover a devious killer...
 
 

Not the best of this author, I'm afraid.
This mystery took place among a theater company and the setting and proceeding felt like a play : a small number of suspects - I kept forgetting who was who, except the main characters, fortunately, there's a list at the beginning ; it took place mainly in the theater itself, so it felt very static.
But mostly, to be frank, it was rather boring and I didn't care very much who killed the victim or why.
I've read other novels by this author, that I don't remember much, yet they left me a good impression overall. Vintage murder was one of the two novels I have on my physical shelves, I'll have to see if the other is better, by any chance !

8 comments:

  1. Sorry the book wasn't as good as you wanted it to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I used to read her books at the same time as Patricia Wentworth, so all my hopes are on Miss Silver now ^^

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry this wasn't a better book for you. It sounded like it had good potential. I hope your next book is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne, so do I :) It had great potential, it's true, and at one point, I even thought it wouldn't be racist - which would be good for this time period - but I was wrong.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this author although I've heard of- I'm sorry to hear this one wasn't great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed but I have other mysteries waiting on my Kindle, one of them is bound to be better :)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I haven't read one of her books yet since I love Golden Age British mysteries, but I think I'll start with a different one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another on my shelf, I hope it will be better :)

      Delete