2021-03-29

KAWAGUCHI Toshikazu : Before the coffee gets cold

In a small back alley in Tokyo, there is a café which has been serving carefully brewed coffee for more than one hundred years. But this coffee shop offers its customers a unique experience : the chance to travel back in time.
In Before the Coffee Gets Cold, we meet four visitors, each of whom is hoping to make use of the café’s time-travelling offer, in order to : confront the man who left them, receive a letter from their husband whose memory has been taken by early onset Alzheimer's, to see their sister one last time, and to meet the daughter they never got the chance to know.
But the journey into the past does not come without risks : customers must sit in a particular seat, they cannot leave the café, and finally, they must return to the present before the coffee gets cold...
 
 

I wonder why there is a cat on the cover. Cat lovers, be aware : there is no cat inside this novel ! And after this very important  information that you couldn't have lived without, let's move on to the review...

What first struck me in this short novel was the setting, like a play : in a single room (the café), with a limited cast of characters, little stories rhythmed by the clanging of the door bell. Once I reached the end of the book, I saw that the author is a playwright - that explains a lot.
 
Yet it doesn't mean that it's not worth reading, oh no ! Maybe some will find the style simplistic, but I found it sober : it goes straight to the essential, so does the plot. The characters who want to travel through time also have the same urgency to deliver or receive an important message in a very little amount of time - before the coffee gets cold. You don't linger ! But the simplicity is deceptive, I think this story, or these stories, were very well planned and organized. Four chapters, four stories, lots of rules that discourage people from queueing up in the street outside the café and keep the characters to a minimum. I was in tears reading the second chapter (reminded me of my mother) so I advise you to keep at least a handkerchief close by. But it's not a sad novel, it's beautiful and very human.

I found it hard to put down, I really enjoyed reading it... so I bought the next, Tales from the café, that I will read very soon. I hope the story of the ghost is inside, I'm dying to know how she got here !

16 comments:

  1. Very interesting starting point for a set of stories! Japan really has some imaginative authors writing these days.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A coworker of mine loves the Japanese classics and looks down on the new authors, but I personally enjoy both ^^

      Delete
  2. I don't mind a play setting and it is a neat change in style. Intriguing about the magical time travel cafe and the bittersweet feel to the people who need to get or leave a message in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at times very emotional, which is the tribute to the author's talent, because it was packed up in a short novel. I would have loved to see the play it was written from. Well, to be honest, I would love to see a play, period, these days !

      Delete
  3. Interesting! I've seen Emma over at Words and Peace talk about this one a bit too. I like time travel. No cat though??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cat, it's a shame, lol ! Yes, Emma and Deb loved it too and I'm so happy I broke my (hem) book buying ban to be able to read the next :)

      Delete
  4. I've just checked and I can get this one from the library, so I definitely will, whenever they allow us to make requests again. It might be a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me two years to finally read it but it's really worth it, I hope you love it too :)

      Delete
  5. I sampled a page from this book a few weeks ago, and wondered about the writing. That makes sense that the author is a playwright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does :) I should be reading the following book soon...

      Delete
  6. Wow! This sounds like a truly fascinating read! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very engaging, I truly enjoyed it :) Thanks RO *hug s*

      Delete
  7. I've heard about this one and it really does sound good. Lovely review my friend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mareli, this book has been buzzing about so much that I had to give it a try :)

      Delete
  8. So ghlad you enjoyed it. I had a recent buddy-read on it, with Q&A for each part: https://wordsandpeace.com/tag/before-the-coffee-gets-cold/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to add: I'm really curious to know if the next book is just as good

    ReplyDelete