2021-02-21

My week in books (not only) #57 - The Sunday Salon


 
 
Hello, I'm linking back to The sunday salon held by Deb at Readerbuzz. Click on the links to access their posts and discover plenty of great bloggers who are dying to share their book reviews, and other things, with you ! 

 *°*° LIFE UPDATES °*°* 

Remember the snow the previous week ? All melted. And this week, we had some rain, some clouds, sunshine (all in the same day), I turned off the central heating during every day and sometimes, I even had my windows open ! (I have now) Meanwhile, Texas is experiencing a cold wave. The weather is bonkers.
 
This week, I didn't read much. With the mud and rain, I didn't feel like going for walks, I mostly wrote all my belated reviews, posted them each day, watched a lot of Booktube and we finally - finally ! - finished watching Supernatural. I thought we could have done without the last episode. So we're catching up on S12 of Doctor Who. We tried Your Honor but my boyfriend didn't like it (I'll watch the rest alone). We watched season 5 of Frasier and are planning to watch Equinox on Netflix. I was a little bit down because I longed for sunshine and outside walks so much !

I finished answering all my comments thursday evening and finished touring last Sunday salon friday evening. Better late than never ! I alternated that and documenting myself about home organsation. When my daily routines are done on my "For a better life" posts, i'll jump to that organisation and hope we'll be exchanging tips ! One first tip that I learned this week and find extremely useful : when you launch the dishwasher, place a magnet on the door. That way, when the washing's done but the dishes haven't been yet put away, one of your kids won't add dirty dishes in by mistake (happened). We're sometimes 2, or 3, or 4, or 5, so according to the numbers, we don't launch the dishwasher after every meal. When the dishes are back safely in the cupboards, replace the magnet on the fridge.
 
Oh, by the way, no "For a better life" post yesterday : first, I procrastinated and didn't write it ahead, my bad ; two, the weather was so sunny and lovely that I washed all my windows and did some advanced spring cleaning in the morning and three, I took my boyfriend for a ride the afternoon. It was good for my mental health, I've been home for too long and could believe we were in spring ! In february ! Sadly, we had to be home by 6PM because of that da... hem... of the curfew so we rushed and didn't take our time. Grumph. So, here is the Brasserie de Vézelay (Vézelay brewery) :
 

All their awards on the front, including the world awards ^^
 
On the right their Christmas beers
 
See that thing on the hill ? The Vézelay basilica, founded in the XIIth century. We didn't have time to go (that curfew !), but we will again.

The Cure, the waters were high everywhere, but I've seen worse
 
Orchards (mostly cherry trees)

Vineyards
 
And last but not least, the quality control checking our beers when we came home (new cardboards !)

 

 *°*° LAST WEEK °*°* 

 
A review of this historical romance based on Richard Burton (the explorer)
 
A review of Christina Rossetti's poetry - a discovery for me
 
Review of two stories by Mme de La Fayette - sigh
 

#3 in the Murderbot series, so good - review !

   *°*° BOOKS READ °*°* 

 


 *°*° CURRENTLY READING °*°*  
 
The writing style is far from literary but so far, it's nice
 
I'm loving it and one story even surprised me

 *°*° BOOK HAUL °*°* 

I've been a good girl : nothing !

 *°*° ON YOUTUBE °*°*  

Greg had Kifune, I have Kiyomizu  I subscribed to the Virtual Japan channel thanks to him, I couldn't resist - thanks Greg !

 *°*° ON THE NET °*°*  

I found this online and laughed so hard ! 
 

38 comments:

  1. Congrats on your reads. I love Kyoto, visited once and walked through the cobbled streets of the old part of the city, looking into shops selling porcelain wares and handmade crafts. Even saw a geisha or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I totally envy you ! I heard Kyoto is more traditional than Tokyo, I'd love to go visit one day...

      Delete
  2. Last year at this time I'd just come home from three weeks in France, and the warnings about Covid were just beginning. It is hard to believe that we've been like this for a year.

    I know what you mean about watching certain shows alone. Emily in Paris didn't work for my husband. But...you know...Paris.

    One of the most helpful organizing tips for me was the usefulness of Lazy Susans for spices, medicines, and more.

    I'm glad you were able to get out and see the world. We are hoping to do some citizen science projects in the nearby parks soon, and we'd also like to do some hiking in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My partner didn't even want to watch Emily in Paris, I did it with my eldest daughter :) Fingers crossed for the science projects, I hope we'll all be able to travel and just basically go where we want to go soon...

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the crazy weather is all over. We had one day last week when it was 50 degrees (quite cold for here) and the very next day it was 84 and felt like summer. So weird. I'm not a TV watcher but I spent a lot of time on Booktube this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd like to share some booktube channels, I'd be interested ^^

      Delete
    2. I'm happy to share but I'm not sure we have the same reading taste. :) Pretty much all the Booktubers I follow focus on contemporary romance. Some of my favorites are: Jessen Reads Romance, gabbyreads, chandler ainsley, PeaceLoveBooksxo, In Love & Words.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes there are moments when I'd love to read a good romance, just like I needed a bit of fun read when... I read a book where even a robot died !!

      Delete
  4. The weather is really crazy everywhere.

    I have to try watching Supernatural. It sounds like a show I would like, but there are quite a few seasons of it for me to catch up with.

    I loved the first Tracey Drew mystery. I have the next one on my Kindle. I just need to make some time for it.

    Great pictures!

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 seasons of Supernatural, but some episodes/seasons are better than others. I love the brothers though, and how the cast of that series looked like a big family. I've just published the review of the next Tracey Drew this morning, I saw the next will be published early next month. Enjoy, thanks Yvonne !

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear you had a good week and that you did a couple of fun things! Reading is wonderful and the cure for everything under the sun, but sometimes you really just need to sun and spending time with loved ones.

    Did you enjoy Knitted and Knifed? I don't spend time on BookTube at all, I hardly get through everything on the blog and miss half of that in any case...

    Take care of yourself this week and hopefully you'll get more reading done.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy Knitted and knifed, it wasn't a wonderful book but exactly what I needed at the time to relax and have fun, thanks. I've been thinking of a way to concentrate my blogging posts on sundays and saturdays, still thinking about it... Take care too, Mareli :)

      Delete
  6. Getting out and about for a drive sounds like a good idea. We've had fantastic weather here in southern California so I do go for walks, but I think a drive a bit further afield would be good for my psyche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting away from everything that we've been looking at since last year - I know the tour of my village by heart. As I'm typing this, my window is open, the sun is warming my skin and my cat's fur :)

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you got out this month. I've been doing a lot for my mental health this month and took some big risks. there is light in the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need, don't we ? We've been going out three days in a row, with sunshine or almost sunshine, warm temperatures for a month of february and it feels *good* !

      Delete
  8. Our weather is a little colder than I like but at least it's not raining. I'm getting out some, my daughter and I try to spend one day a week together. I bought a dishwasher Clean/Dirty Sign on Amazon. You can either stick it with padded magnets or it also has double sided sticky tape. It has a slide cover to show if they're clean or dirty.

    Glad you had a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that existed but at least, the sign is clear, no possible mistake :) Thanks Vicki !

      Delete
  9. I love my fresh air walks, too, but still too cold and too much ice for that so I've been stuck with walking inside with exercise program, but I have turned on the photo pages on my screen so I can 'travel' to pretty outdoor spots while I walk. Nice little drive you took and hope you get to explore some more of the interesting places you noted along your drive. Cute quality control staff you have there.
    Good organizational tip, thanks!
    Way to go on not acquiring books this week. Fun that you're reading Sherlock Holmes.

    Have a good week, Iza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my book buying ban won't last long, fingers crossed for now ! At least, walking inside is practical, you don't risk any accident - I hate walking on ice. Thanks Sophia, enjoy yours !

      Delete
  10. It's hard when you can't get out. It's been super cold and snowy here- we got stuck multiple times- ugh.

    Love your pics!!!

    I love Virtual Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your pantry and fridge are stocked ! Thanks Greg :)

      Delete
  11. The weather is nuts here too.. so much rain esp considering last summer we were on fire!
    The dishwasher tip is a good one, we have a calendar on the front of our dishwasher for the (4) kids who add their name to when they’ve had their turn...says so many arguments!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that calendar is a good tip, thanks ShelleyRae :)

      Delete
  12. The weather has been crazy everywhere, but I always feel better when I can get outside for a bit. It's been cooler than normal here in FL, but no rain or snow, so I've been enjoying my walks. My nephew in Texas was without power for days and, as of yesterday, still had no water. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We heard about Texas and thought about Deb, I'm sorry for your nephew, I hope his situation has improved by now... Thanks JoAnn :)

      Delete
  13. I cannot wait for Spring! It's still cold here but it's sunny for now. We got a ton of snow last week but like yours it's gone again.

    OMG that pic with Queen's Gambit star and Spock, LOL!!!

    Those are great pics. I need to subscribe to virtual Japan. I sure miss that place. I can't wait to go back one day.

    Looks like you are reading some great books! I need to read the Murderbot Diaries. I know I'll love them.

    Those beers look amazing! I can't even order beer and have it sent to my house...so sad.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss ! She and Spock playing chess, I would love to see that ! You're so lucky to have visited Japan, my youngest daughter wishes to learn Japanese next year. I'm sad you can't have beer, I'm raising my glass to yours, cheers :)

      Delete
  14. I’m glad you were able to get out of the house for a little while. Everything here is still buried in snow, so there’s not much to see. Have a good week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is beautiful but it has drawbacks ^^ On the other hand, lots of time to read books ?.... Thanks AJ !

      Delete
  15. Yay for Sherlock! I’ve been listening to the audiobook this last few weeks.

    The weathers been the same here, the last few days have had bad flooding as the snow we had melts and there is a weather warning for tomorrow.

    Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, that's what I saw :) I'm enjoying Sherlock immensely and have even be very surprised by one short story (in a good way). Thanks Heather !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious which story was the one that surprised you! Maybe you'll post a review and let us know.

      Delete
    2. I will soon, I've almost finished the book :)

      Delete
  17. hello. So this might be a dumb question: but do you read your books in French or English? or both? I wish I knew some French but I'm clueless and I took German in school long ago. I wouldn't mind taking some Spanish classes. I have read a biography of Richard Burton (the explorer) long ago and remember the 1990 movie about him called "Mountains of the Moon" ... you might like it. enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know this movie, many thanks for the tip :) And yes, I read my books mostly in English, but also in French. I read the French books in French, of course, the Japanese ones also, mostly - since they're already translated, might as well read them in my own language. I try to read all English books in English, except when I've bought too many books and borrow them translated in French at my library... I tried reading in English when I was a teen and couldn't understand a whole sentence, but I got better with the years (not my speaking accent, though). Thanks Susan :)

      Delete
  18. I have been enjoying having the windows open as well. It's so nice to have the breeze coming in--and fresh air--while I am working.

    I need to get back to Doctor Who. My husband and I were watching it there for awhile, but somehow set it aside and never got back to it. We've missed so much! I am glad you finished Supernatural. I have heard others say that about the final episode too. I still haven't watched the final season but plan to at some point.

    Oh, yes! That dishwasher magnet has been a lifesaver for us. LOL

    I hope you have a great week! I am sorry for being so late commenting. It was such a crazy week this past week. I'm behind in everything just about. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about commenting, I'm wayyyy behind on Bloglovin' too ;) I intend to work my way through the final episodes of Dr Who this week. That is, if my planned "1000 abs" week will leave me some energy ^^

      Delete