2021-02-16

Christina ROSSETTI : The goblin market and other poems

An important and often-quoted literary figure, the English poet Christina Rossetti (1830–1894) wrote some of the most beautiful and voluptuous poetry in the English language. Like Emily Dickinson, she lived in self-imposed isolation, writing of God and lost love with a sensuality and passion that seemed to emanate from the soul.
This edition of 53 works combines a number of her best-known sonnets, ballads, and shorter lyrics with her long masterpiece, the narrative fable Goblin Market. A haunting fairy tale in verse, Goblin Market was once labeled a children's poem, yet its intricate symbolism and themes of temptation, sin, and redemption mark it for an adult audience. Among other works included in this choice collection are "The Convent Threshold," "Up-hill," "Cousin Kate," "Winter: My Secret," "Maude Clare," "No, Thank You, John," and "After Death."

 
 
I read this book for the 21 books for 21 challenge of The afternoon tea and scones with the lovely ladies (Goodreads group).
 
Until last year, I had no idea Christina Rossetti existed. I'd heard about her brother, Dante Gabriel, but her ? Nothing. I thought this challenge would be an opportunity to discover her. At the same time, I was wondering about all the poetry I'd read written by women. And sadly, apart from the Brontës, I couldn't think about anyone, until I finally remembered the Middle Ages and Marie de France or Christine de Pisan. Phew, my womanly honour was saved !

I read the introduction of this little book and I expected darker, more religious poems than these, but their interpretations may vary on re-reading. I especially loved the first half, with poems that felt like fairy tales, songs, folk tales, enchanting and not difficult at all to read even if there were layers. (I don't read much poetry and English is not my first language, so...). 
The second half was, indeed, darker and more religious, but beautifully written. I can see why Virginia Woolf loved her poems, which were more sensual than I expected and, at times, violent (The Goblin market is considered children's poetry ?!). 
 
I have this collection of poems on my Kindle, but I'd love to buy a paper edition (or have it offered to me ^^) to be able to pick it up and read from it from time to time, peel the layers one by one, take my time. A very good discovery.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, I didn't know her either! Thanks, just added it to my Classics TBR. The title makes me think of The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald. Have you read some George MacDonald? I was very impressed by Lilith, you can see there how much he influenced both CS Lewis and Tolkien!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered her through Kathy at the YT channel Books and things - she made me discover many classics I'd never heard of before. And sadly no, I haven't read George MacDonald nor CS Lewis (yet !), I'll see what I can do about that, thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Your recent reviews are very interesting, especially the two princesses of French literature. I'm surprised that you blocked when trying to think of women poets besides Rossetti, long familiar to me as part of the preRaphaelite movement in which her brother and others were involved. Without looking it up I can think of quite a few well-known women poets. Around the same time: Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Emily Dickinson. Later poets: Gertrude Stein, HD (Hilda Doolittle), Maya Angelou, Margaret Atwood (better known for her novels) and so many more. Even in the bad old days we studied them in school.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae :) These are poets writing in English and I confess I haven't read much poetry in my life, something I want to change, and all the French poets I have read were mostly men - Baudelaire, Verlaine, Rimbaud, Musset, Prévert, Cadou, Du Bellay, Hugo, Lamartine, La Fontaine, Marot, Nerval, Ronsard, Villon, etc : not many women in there. As I said, I'll make it change :)

      Delete