2021-02-18

Mme de La Fayette : La princesse de Clèves / La princesse de Montpensier (review in English, chronique en français)


Poised between the fading world of chivalric romance and a new psychological realism, Madame de Lafayette's novel of passion and self-deception marks a turning-point in the history of the novel. When it first appeared—anonymously—in 1678 in the heyday of French classicism, it aroused fierce controversy among critics and readers, in particular for the extraordinary confession which forms the climax of the story.

Madame de Clèves, jeune beauté parfaite en tout point, fait des débuts remarqués à la cour de la reine dauphine, belle-fille d'Henri II. Pour ce modèle de vertu, l'image de Diane de Poitiers plane tout au long du roman comme le contre-exemple absolu. Mais sous des dehors innocents, la Princesse de Clèves, par sa faculté à analyser et à maîtriser ses sentiments, fait preuve d'une personnalité étonnante et rarement exposée avec tant de justesse auparavant. Car, si l'amour courtois trouve ici d'indéniables échos, cet ouvrage paru en 1678, souvent considéré comme le premier roman de la littérature française, est indéniablement un pas énorme vers le roman tel qu'on le connaît aujourd'hui.  


Dans cette édition que mes filles ont étudié au lycée, il y a non seulement La Princesse de Clèves mais également celle de Montpensier. Je vais écrire la critique pour les deux, parce que je n'ai pas grand-chose de différent à en dire.
C'était l'époque du roman précieux, on aime ou on n'aime pas - je n'aime pas, même s'ils avaient tendance à parler parfois comme moi, faire une longue phrase négative pour dire quelque chose de court et de positif. Je vais changer ma façon de parler, pour la peine. Pour être totalement honnête, je n'aurais probablement pas relu ces livres si mes filles ne l'avaient pas étudié - et donc, ramené chez nous - et si un certain président n'en avait pas dit pis que pendre. Rien que pour prouver qu'il avait tort, j'ai relu La Princesse de Clèves ! Et bof. Je ne dis pas que l'ex-président avait raison (ça me ferait mal), mais je n'ai pas aimé ce livre. Le début : une longue énumération de noms avec toutes les qualités de la bonne société, tous sont beaux, tous sont parfaits, et qu'est-ce qu'il y en a ! Ensuite, l'histoire d'amour, qui serait à peu près mieux passée si elle avait été éditée et coupée juste à l'histoire d'amour. Ce qui fut le cas pour La Princesse de Montpensier, mais ce récit court ne m'a pas passionnée. Effectivement, on voit bien la psychologie des personnages, mais leurs changements d'avis finaux, leurs reproches, leur abandon m'a donné une piètre opinion d'eux. Les fins janséniste de l'un et extrêmement morale de l'autre m'ont laissée froide. Il n'y a pas à dire, je préfère le XIXe ! Ca m'a donné envie, à la rigueur, de relire les Précieuses ridicules de Molière. 
Si vous tenez absolument à lire un roman où des gens riches et nobles n'ont rien à faire de leurs journées, lisez plutôt Elizabeth Von Arnim, c'est mille fois mieux !

This edition that my daughters studied at school includes La Princesse de Clèves but also La Princesse de Montpensier. I'll review both at the same time, because I don't have many different things to say about them.
It was the time of the "roman précieux", a very classic writing style where you don't say just "eyes" but "windows of the soul", to give you an idea. You like it or not, I don't, even if these people tended to talk the way I do sometimes, make a long negative sentence to say something short and positive. I'll change my way of talking. To be completely honest, I probably wouldn't have re-read these if my daughters hadn't studied them - and brought the book home - and if a certain French president hadn't badmouthed it. Just to prove he was wrong, I re-read that story ! It was meh. I'm not saying he was right (it would hurt), but I didn't like those two stories. The beginning : a long list of names with all the qualities of these noble people, all are handsome and beautiful, all are perfect, and there are so many of them ! Then the love story, who would have been a little better if it had been edited and made shorter. La Princesse de Montpensier was, but I didn't enjoy it. Yes, the psychology of the characters is developed, but their final changes of mind, their reproaches, how they moved on made me despise them almost. The jansenist end of one and extremely moral of the other left me cold. I much prefer the XIXth century ! It made me want to re-read Molière, "The affected young ladies", that dealt about that time period.
If you really want to read a novel where noble, rich people have absolutely nothing to do all day, you'd better read Elizabeth Von Arnim, she's a thousand times better !

9 comments:

  1. When will have time to add all these books to my reading list? I'm adding this one, in English or French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take aaaaaall your time, it's not the best French novel out there ;)

      Delete
  2. Do you have a recommendation or two that are not toooo hard for a middling French reader?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two come to mind (I don't often read in French these days !). First, Jean Giono with "L'homme qui plantait des arbres" : it's very short, often mistaken for a children's book but with a beautiful story - it's one of my favourite books ever. The second is Colette : "La maison de Claudine". Colette's text were often given as dictations in schools (in my time). This little novel is about her childhood in Burgundy in a very small town. It is my favourite French novel and I think not too difficult on the vocabulary level. As to contemporary authors, I would recommend Annie Ernaux, who writes beautifully though simply. I would also recommend you ask Emma at Words and peace https://wordsandpeace.com She has a blog about books and gives French classes online, she probably has a big reference list :)

      Delete
  3. Did I mention that I like the mysteries set in Brittany by Michel Bussi? I've read his books in French and English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read just one of his books, set in La Réunion, "Ne lâche pas ma main". That's true, I didn't think about it, but mysteries and thrillers are a good way to read another language and Michel Bussi's is rather simple :) Another thriller I read set in Brittany is "Embruns" by Louise Mey, I highly, highly recommend it !

      Delete
  4. It's nice to see books to pass on as well as books to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good for our TBRs to remain manageable ^^

      Delete