2021-02-22

Tracey DREW : Balls and bones - Knitty kitty mystery #0.5

2 wannabe sleuths. 1 (or more) sloppily buried human bones. A whole lot of murderous mayhem in a very small New Zeland town by the sea.
 
 

I was badly in need of fun after several grim novels, or novels with deaths - including surprising ones - and a damp, rainy, muddy, gloomy weather. 
This short prequel (8 chapters) did the trick. Told by both cats (one cat = one chapter), a funny story of murder with the inimitable look of the feline species on humans. I read it in one evening and enjoyed it very much ! This, particularly, had me laughing out loud : "Vince [a human] stilled, as Kit and I do when we've spotted a bird - only his butt didn't start twitching." Maybe when you're not reading this novella, you'll barely smile, but believe me, when you're in the middle of a story about a middle-aged butcher and imagine him completely still but twitching his butt, you burst out laughing.

First paragraph :
"Greetings, human. Social niceties dictate I must introduce myself, so you may address me as Your Grace, or My Fierce Warrior Queen of Darkness. Though if you must be overly familiar, you can call me Pearl, which is what my  humans named me when I decided that we would employ them as our live-in staff almost a year ago to this day."
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I still need to read this prequal. But I'm so glad it made you giggle and snigger. Will hopefully get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get it for free if you subscribe to the author's newsletter =^.^=

      Delete
  2. This sounds so fun. I think I need to read something light-hearted like this as well as I just finished a really depressing drama. I need cats and escapism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I dearly needed too, it will be good for you :)

      Delete
  3. I love it from a cat POV :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to love it but I did !

      Delete