2021-04-30

Anne PERRY : Death in the Devil's Acre - Charlotte and Thomas Pitt #7

When a doctor is found brutally murdered, even the neighborhood's most hardened residents are stunned. But three more bodies are found, killed the same inexpert way, and Inspector Thomas Pitt and his wife Charlotte race against time to find the killer, as a treacherous mystery unfolds. No one, not the lowest brand of ruffian or the most established aristocrat, will come out unscathed...
 

Years ago (I'm re-reading a lot these days), I read practically the whole Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series, the William Monk series and only stopped because I read too many too quickly : indigestion (20, 30 books ?). But Anne Perry always remained in my mind as a particular good writer and critic of Victorian society. Moreover, her characters are not mere puppets, they have depth and feel deeply human, even when flawed and unlikeable.
Re-reading I once loved and now DNFed, I feared opening an Anne Perry novel again but no, she's really as excellent as I remember. Phew !
It's a series best read in order, but I remembered it well, so no problem here. This particular instalment dealt with sexuality and how it was considered/repressed in Victorian times. How women were to be ignorant angels when they married, how their husbands probably expected more and went to seek satisfaction elsewhere, how women of different status became prostitutes and even worse, how children were sold for sex. There was obviously a background of violence, moral and social, and how society dealt with it : parked it in some areas of London and turned a blind eye. Anne Perry also dealt with how women were expected to live their life compared to what was expected of men and what they were allowed.
This was a grim investigation but a captivating one and now, I want to re-read everything she has written ! My only reproach would be the end, I found it a little abrupt and would have loved to see it more developped. But consider me a happy reader !
 


 

10 comments:

  1. I love her books, but I made the mistake of binging all the backlists when I first stumbled across them and had to give it a few years before I could go back. :) I've enjoyed reading the latest two series, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have her Elena Standish on the line, I'm glad you loved her other series, I can't wait to give them a try :)

      Delete
  2. Wow this book dealt with a lot of issues. I'd have to read this book on a really good day. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her background stories are usually very grim, but her novels are read very easily :)

      Delete
  3. I love it when you revisit writers from your past and find you still like them as much as you did before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the contrary happened too and it's sad - at least, Anne Perry didn't disappoint :)

      Delete
  4. I'm always on the lookout for good crime series though I don't read very many of them. I would really like to find that one series that I always look forward to it. I haven't heard of this one but well worth a try. Thanks for bringing to my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, she has a personal interesting back story too ^^

      Delete
  5. oops, haven't read any by her! Sounds like I should remedy this soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma ! I loved her series so much I had to re-read them after so many years, but the latest one, Elena Standish, is giving me the eye and one of its novels is already on my shelf ^^

      Delete