2021-03-15

Julia QUINN : The secret diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her—until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.

But the years that followed were as cruel to Turner as they were kind to Miranda. She is as intriguing as the viscount boldly predicted on that memorable day—while he is a lonely, bitter man, crushed by a devastating loss. But Miranda has never forgotten the truth she set down on paper all those years earlier—and she will not allow the love that is her destiny to slip lightly through her fingers...


No idea why I expected this to be an "old" novel, because my edition says "2007" : the old-fashioned cover and yellow acid paper probably did me wrong. Anyway, who cares, it had been given to me, I'll give it to someone else !
 
I'm not disappointed because the novel is more recent than I expected, it's just that I expected it to be funnier and livelier. I remember laughing so much when I began reading the Bridgertons series that I wanted the same here. The first hundred pages, I read dutifully and politely. Not bad, not wonderful. Then Miranda stepped into "that" bookshop and got mad at the bookseller who didn't want her inside his "men only" shop and near his books and I laughed merrily, thinking that finally, there was some spirit in the novel and I was beginning to really enjoy it. And... it fell back to being a nice novel, but not a wonderful one. We never see the bookseller again, much to my disappointment because I wanted Miranda to have the final upper hand. I didn't particularly like Turner, also, he doesn't take what Miranda tells him seriously and keeps acting like he thinks he knows what she wants better than her. 
 
Many readers enjoyed it immensely, I liked it but not loved it. I have a few historical romances left on my shelves, I'll find out this year if I'm over the genre or if I just picked up the wrong Julia Quinn (and Jude Deveraux) for 2021. For the moment, I'm just happy to see that physical TBR diminish !

6 comments:

  1. Aww sorry to hear this one didn't wow you. I do like th sound of the bookstore scene, sounds like maybe it needed a bit more of that. :) But like you said, another book down right haha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I love watching my TBR go down !

      Delete
  2. So-so books make me sad that I couldn't feel much of anything for them. Yay for one more off the pile at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So-so books make me sad only when I expected a lot more, like it happened recently with a "funny" classic that wasn't so funny. I'm glad that it's off my pile, lol !

      Delete
  3. I enjoy The Bridgerton Series, but don't know if I will read more by Julia Quinn. Not quite my style you know. But maybe, if like you, I get it as a present I will read it!

    Like your honest review!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I learned last year is there are mood reads - last year did strike me because a book I almost DNFed ended up a 5 stars (Georgette Heyer). So I think this kind of novels is absolutely perfect for... times like what we're living now. But I wish she had the upper hand on the bookseller !!

      Delete