2021-03-16

Elizabeth GASKELL : Mary Barton

I would note the blurb here if I thought this wouldn't spoil the story - since it does, just read this book with an open mind. If you buy the novel, don't read the blurb !!! I don't know why classic literature editors keep thinking they have the right to reveal the whole story and spoil our reading pleasure because a book is a classic ! 


 

I just finished this book, which I expected to really like but not love since it was Elizabeth Gaskell's first novel and that many Goodreads reviewers aren't enthusiastic about it. Some find it lacking with many things, yet I didn't.
 
I'll start with what I liked less :
- It was a very moral, Christian novel, which I expected given the era and Elizabeth Gaskell's position in life (she was married to a clergyman), but at the same time it was full of hope and generosity, of open mindedness for the Victorian era - funny thing to say for a "I liked less" first point ! 
- Maybe some parts were a little long ?... However, I read it on my Kindle, which means "read it during the night when I couldn't sleep", mostly, and the text itself never put me back to sleep, on the contrary. It even became a real page-turner !
 

Well, so much for the "less"... Let's move on to what I liked if it makes any difference between the two :
- It started almost like a romance with a love triangle and a social background and bam, something happened and the story turned into something completely different (to quote the Monty Pythons). I held my breath until the end to find how everything turned out.
- The industrial revolution and social criticism. The novel didn't waste time at the start to tell us about the worker's former "happy" lives when they had work, we began when the factories had less work to provide and everybody started starving - and dying. There was also a strike, a relation between unions in different towns and I couldn't help comparing at one point the discussion scene between factory owners and workers to the one I read a few months ago in Zola's Germinal. 
- The representation of characters : there were some excellent portrayals in there ! The psychology was well described, not one character resembled another. They felt realistic and full of life.  And I dare you to find someone like Margaret ending up the way she did in another Victorian novel !
- Without spoiling anything it will be hard to explain, but through what happened to two characters in the novel, you could hear the voice of Elizabeth Gaskell's own life experience and its representation was vivid and poignant.
 
The end wasn't exactly likely to happen "in real life", but I could see the message the author wanted to put through and how, in troubled times, men should still be able to communicate and exchange ideas even if they don't agree, whatever their rank in society. 

All in all, this was an excellent surprise and I truly believe Mary Barton is highly underrated. Go read it ! (And don't forget, don't read the blurb).
 

 

9 comments:

  1. My most recent reading was Mrs. Gaskell's North and South. I found it amazingly full of modern social issues -- like the conflict between the industrialists and the workers, including the right to strike for a living wage. I will have to come back to this author's work, though from your review, I suspect that her later novel, North and South, was more fully realized than the earlier one.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the same too about North and South compared to Mary Barton. I'll be reading N&S later this year. And yes, I agree, it's at the same time surprising and a bit appalling to see the same struggles over the centuries...

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see you loved this one. This was the next Gaskell I wanted to read when I got the chance. Oh my, spoilers in the review. I'll avoid it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The opinions are not unanimous about this one so it was a very good surprise, I hope you'll love it too :)

      Delete
    2. I see you posting things on Bloglovin' but I can't comment on Bloglovin' or on the place you post your articles on Books from the backlog or Book ramblings, can you give me a direct link, please ?

      Delete
  3. The fact that it was a page turner says a lot! And I like the sound of the social commentary as well- that's always fascinating especially when examining the changing lives of workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone had told me that Elizabeth Gaskell could write a page-turner, I wouldn't have believed it, lol ;)

      Delete
  4. sounds like it was a nice book surprise. sometimes and author can hit the mark on a debut and i have found new authors to follow by taking the chance. glad it was a hit for you
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even found one of my favourite fantasy series thanks to a freebie picked entirely by chance :)

      Delete