2020-11-29

My week in books (not only) #46 - The Sunday post

 

 
 
Hi, I'm linking back to The sunday post held by Kim, The Caffeinated Reviewer. Click on the link to access her post and discover plenty of great bloggers who are dying to share their book reviews, and other things, with you ! 
 
This has been a sunny, moderately cold during the nights, rather warm during the days november week. I was a lazy, did the minimum, chair/couch potato. Which means that, as a woman, I did grocery shopping, washing up, cooking, cleaning,  chauffering if it's a word. Today is the first real november day of the month weather wise ! Oh, and it rained once this week - during the night. I'm sure you're all so delighted to read these tons of informations, but sorry, I really don't have much to share. I'd rather talk about this than about what's happening in France nowadays politically wise, because it would make me angry. 
Perhaps we'll go for a walk this afternoon if it's not raining ?... Or start decorating for Christmas... Anyway, enjoy your sunday with your loved ones :)
 

Above were the results of the #classics spin #25 for The Classics book club
 

Mary-Ann Shaffer/Annie Barrows :
The Guernsey literary and potatoe peel pie society -
a re-read, and a very lovely one (book review)

Patrick Rothfuss : The name of the wind
book #1 in the Kingkiller chronicles - awesome, just awesome
 (book review)

 
Still on Nelly Dean by Alison Case
 
Anne Brontë : The tenant of Wildfell Hall - I'll probably finish it today
 
ON THE NET :
 
 
You've probably already heard about The Storygraph, but do you know the whys and hows of this future website ? Check Wanderinglynn's post and her experience on the beta site.
 
 
ON THE SCREENS :
 
I forgot to mention last week that I started watching the Miss Marple series with Geraldine McEwan, which continued with Julia McKenzie on season 3. I had only watched the one with Joan Hickson before and didn't like her, but I love that series and the actresses (especially Geraldine McEwan, she looks mischievous). I'm currently on season 5.
 
For something completely different, my companion and me also started rewatching Supernatural on from season 7, to remind us of what happened lately because we had stopped watching a few years ago. Now that the show is over, there will be no more waiting for the next season so we can binge ! I'll miss Dean, Sam, Crowley and the others but I heard the finale was disappointing... Here's one funny moment in the car :

When I lived near Paris, I used to dream of one day living in the country - I do now. And as I watched satellite TV and the British channels, I happened upon this show called "Escape to the country" : basically, a couple living in town wants to go live in a peaceful village, rural area, Cornwall, Wales, Yorkshire, somethingShire, a beautiful place with pretty little houses (think Midsomer murders/Miss Marple villages and houses). And I became an addict : it's some kind of a reality show with people visiting houses, some that I would dream living in. Virtually visiting houses in another country is so great. To give you an example, take a look at this episode - I would love to live in the first house, the one in the vignette * dreamy sigh* :




30 comments:

  1. Hi there IzaBzh! I've also only seen the Miss Marple adaptations with Joan Hickson. I am so going to watch for the other series right now. Never seen Supernatural. Will have a look there too!

    Hope you will have a good week, take care!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love those "new" (hem !) Miss Marple adaptations, I'm having lots of fun watching them and yeah, what a cast ! Supernatural is a lot darker and grittier, even if the former seasons were lighter. Thanks Elza, you too :)

      Delete
  2. You should definitely decorate for Christmas! It brings in cheer, happy and good spirits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need colours and sparks, don't we ? Thanks for visiting, Esther :)

      Delete
  3. I've read The name of the wind a few years back and I loved it too!
    I hope you'll be able to relax and enjoy this week.
    Stay safe and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good !! Did you read book #2 in two parts ? Thanks Maureen, take care and relax :)

      Delete
  4. I've seen a lot more of the Geraldine McEwan episodes as Miss Marple - I far prefer them to Poirot, which I always think Suchet overplays - the best Hercule Poirot was Peter Ustinov, who did a few films and absolutely nailed it. I also thoroughly enjoy Escape to the Country:)). Have a lovely week, Iza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Suchet too, but Geraldine is simply great ;) You make me want to rewatch the Peter Ustinov films, I saw them... a long time ago. Thanks Sjhigbee !

      Delete
  5. I can't believe how much you got done, and still call it minimum. I should not clean up my act now. I loved The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayathri, I'll try and love the film too when I have finished my current books ^^

      Delete
  6. We did our decorating on Friday! I love when the house is all christmas cozy.
    I try so hard to be a couch potato this weekend but I always seem to find something I need to do! :) lol

    Have a great week IzaBzh, Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I try to be a couch potato still, but with the family and the cats around, it's not easy !

      Delete
  7. Haha I love how you've got hooked on Escape to the Country: a proper bit of easy, daytime telly here in the UK. I am sorry to hear that political it is stressful in France... Sadly it is not much better here either. Nice to escape into everyday tasks, walks and some comforting reading and television. That's what I've been doing this week, too. Take care and happy reading in the coming week. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica - this show is a true breath of fresh air :) Good luck for the Brexit...

      Delete
  8. Ha! I feel that "as a woman" comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I had sons, I would have raised them differently, lol !

      Delete
  9. It's been much the same here, weather wise. We've had a few days where it was unseasonably nice during the day, then cooler at night. And I love the look of that Marple series. I need to look into Acorn.

    Escape to the Country looks wonderful, I watched a few minutes of that episode and promptly bookmarked it lol. Gonna check that series out! "somethingShire" haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with Miss Marple, I think you will love it, Escape to the country too :) Yes, so many shires in England ^^

      Delete
  10. I love watching Escape to the Country, and there is also Escape to the Continent where the UK house buyers look for a home in France, or Spain, or wherever in Europe (pre Brettix obviously:). I’m in Australia so it’s all exotic to me :)
    Like you I didnt do much last week either ... except all the cooking, laundering, shopping, housework, and chauffeuring etc for a family of 6

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a "normal" day for a woman/mother, uh ? Fortunately for us, we can dream vicariously while watching exotic shows ;) Thanks Shelleyrae !

      Delete
  11. I love Geraldine as Miss Marple, she has done some of my favourite ones. I’ve never watched Escape to the Country but we are working our way through Grand Designs as my husband is obsessed with house building!

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently building bookshelves with wooden wine boxes, lol ! And I do love Geraldine. Thanks Heather :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you've been busy. I've wanted to read The Guernsey literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for a long time. I have it around here somewhere. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would love that book :) Thanks Yvonne, you too !

      Delete
  13. Sometimes a ordinary week is good. Our weather is going to be the big cool down this week. I hope this week feels more relaxing and you get to read some great books!

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the temperatures have cooled down too, time for some reading under the duvet with a warm cup nearby. Thanks Anne :)

      Delete
  14. I don’t usually decorate for Christmas this early but this year I was more than ready for all the Christmassy goodness. We decorated the house last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, and it really lifted my spirits. I hope it does the same for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, some sparks, colours and blinking things cheers us up in these difficult times :)

      Delete
  15. We decorated on Monday after Thanksgiving, and I'm happy we did. It makes me happy to see the Christmas tree up with all its lights and decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It puts much needed colours into our lives :)

      Delete