2020-04-03

Emily BRONTE : Poems

A selection of poems by... Emily Brontë !


Poetry is not my forte, but I've read poetry books before and survived - even loved them ! So I thought I would try a selection of poems by the author of one of my favorite novels of all times (Wuthering Heights, of course) and tried, tried, but failed to fully appreciate them.
I tried different manners of reading : one poem by one during one day for several days. Several poems in one sitting, but not too many. One poem per hour ! Nothing worked. And yet, I really wanted to love them, because of Emily...
My impression was that of reading gothic/desperate poems written by a teenager. I particularly thought of a teenager of mine, my youngest daughter (who wrote poetry, started several novels and has a vivid imagination). Some parts of the poems were really good, one made me think of Spleen by Baudelaire, but in these gloomy times of Covid19, being locked up all day long while spring is bursting outside and the weather is so sunny, this wasn't what I needed at all. Doom, gloom, death and a strange visitor at night who gives you the chills (he really did, that will be the poem I'll remember most !) might be what I would have loved reading when I was 20, but I need more celebration of life now.
I have to say I'm a bit pissed off that I didn't like them !

No comments:

Post a Comment