2020-04-02

Arthur Conan DOYLE : A study in scarlet

The very first of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, A study in scarlet, reveals the early days of Holmes and Watson's friendship, and exactly how the former doctor became involved in a life of crime-solving.
A body is found in a grimy house in south London, its face twisted by fear and horror, with the word "RACHE" scrawled on the wall in blood beside it - yet the corpse itself is completely unscathed. How did this man meet such a strange and terrible end ? The answer is darker than anyone could imagine.

If you didn't know it before, you'll know it now : I'm a huge, huge fan of Arthur Conan Doyle. The hound of the Baskervilles was the very first book I read in English, borrowed at my college's library. I couldn't read it without a dictionary then. It ignited a deep love for this character, Sherlock Holmes, but also for the author. I have read everything I could lay my hands on that was written by Conan Doyle, including an anthology of more than 1000 pages written with little characters on very thin paper. I used to watch the TV show with Jeremy Brett who was so, so brilliant ! I adored him ! I like Elementary, but don't love it (I love the actor, however, I watched him recently in the mini-series Emma). When Sherlock came out, with the wonderful Benedict Cumberbatch, I was wary at first, a bit reassured when I saw the tribute to the old credits in the new, and was completely swept away by the quality of the show.

When I received this edition, I jumped for joy. I was so delighted to know that I am going to start reading or re-reading all of Arthur Conan Doyle's writings (I'll take my time, though, I want those book to last me some time) and that my starting book had arrived, with such a pretty cover !

And I enjoyed every single minute of it !
When Watson has not met yet Sherlock and heard about him for the first time by a friend of his :
"Holmes is a little too scientific for my tastes - it approaches to cold-bloodedness. I could imagine his giving a friend a little pinch of the latest vegetal alkaloid, not out of malevolence, you understand, but simply out of a spirit of inquiry in order to have an accurate idea of the effects. To do him justice, I think that he would take it himself with the same readiness."
And when Watson, having finally met Sherlock, drew a list : Sherlock Holmes - his limits !

I devoured the first part avidly. The second part came as a shock. You got the story of why the murders took place and you find yourself lifted from the streets of London to a desert near Salt Lake City, vutures included ! It was a complete change, but took up rapidly in intensity and I could clearly understand why revenge was badly needed. The end was swiftly explained, with how every detail lead Sherlock to find the name of the murderer even before his arrest took place.

It's a novella - 135 pages, but packed with a lot of action, humour and suspense, I found it almost difficult to read it sitting calmly in one place. I had to move ! And now I can't wait to read the next ! I'll wait, I have many books to read, I just ordered The sign of the four, I have to reduce my physical TBR pile, but honestly ? Waiting is hard !

No comments:

Post a Comment