2021-12-01

ADICHIE, Chimamanda Ngozi : Notes on grief

'Grief is a cruel kind of education. You learn how ungentle mourning can be, how full of anger. You learn how glib condolences can feel. You learn how much grief is about language, the failure of language and the grasping for language'.
On 10 June 2020, the scholar James Nwoye Adichie died suddenly in Nigeria.
In this tender and powerful essay, expanded from the original New Yorker text, his daughter, a self-confessed daddy's girl, remembers her beloved father. Notes on Grief is at once a tribute to a long life of grace and wisdom, the story of a daughter.

 
A beautiful testimony of love, respect, grief, written by a daughter for her late father. I didn't want to read it in public transportations and I was right ! 
Read it at home, with a comforting warm drink and a box of tissues close at hand, especially if, like me, you lost your father too. It's quickly read but just when I thought I had finally come together, the very short final chapter just undid me...

3 comments:

  1. No, this would definitely not be the kind of book I could read without sobbing, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a powerful, emotional read. Glad you enjoyed it despite the tears!

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gulp. I probably need to read this one. Sounds sad. I feel for Adichie losing her father. She can write circles around most.

    ReplyDelete