2021-03-22

CHO Nam-joo : Kim Jiyoung, born 1982

In a small, tidy apartment on the outskirts of the frenzied metropolis of Seoul lives Kim Jiyoung. A thirtysomething-year-old “millennial everywoman”, she has recently left her white-collar desk job — in order to care for her newborn daughter full-time — as so many Korean women are expected to do. But she quickly begins to exhibit strange symptoms that alarm her husband, parents and in-laws : Jiyoung impersonates the voices of other women — alive and even dead, both known and unknown to her. As she plunges deeper into this psychosis, her discomfited husband sends her to a male psychiatrist.
 
 
 
A punch in the gut, that's what this short, quickly read novel was.
 
The style surprised me at first, it read almost like a non-fiction. The story was a matter of fact, acute depiction of Kim Jiyoung's life. It started showing us alarming signs of her sanity in contemporary life first then used flash-backs to tell us more about her past and how the situation evolved in the first place. This was absolutely ghastly. I was already aware of the situation of women in South Korea, but it's only recently that I fully realized the weight of society and family on women and its impact on their life, the choices they make. It's violent, there is no other word. 
 
However, there was a part, when Kim Jiyoung was pregnant and heard about delivering babies, where and how, that reminded very much about my own personal past as a pregnant woman in contemporary France. How you heard, in books, on TV, about all the existing opportunities and how, in real life, it was for a small amount of individuals in a small amount of hospitals ; or how great it was to give birth at home, without medication and help, when in real life, maternity wards were closing one after the other due to lack of public fundings - which was the real reason why "natural birth" was so much "the buzz" at the time. Nowadays, you have to program your birth if you want it to happen in a hospital,  just saying.

This reads easily, yet it's powerful and hard-hitting. I hope the situation of women there evolves soon - which is a sentence that feels hollow after reading this book...
 
 

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Yeah I hope to read this one. It received quite a bit of recognition when it came out .... and perhaps all the women in S.Korea can start making changes within the country ... so it's not so horrible to women. That's my hope too ... from writers like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard so much about it I couldn't not read it and I hope novels like this help with the changes :)

      Delete
  2. So few Korean novels become well-known, that a new one like this is very intriguing. However, you make it sound quite depressing!

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing more and more about Korean literature, even thrillers. I'm buying them for my library, anyway ! It is depressing, but the fact that it's been written and that we heard so much about is good ^^

      Delete
  3. I’ve got this on my kindle to read, it sounds like it’s going to leave an impression on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reads very quickly, but it delivers a hard punch, indeed.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I can tell this one would hit me hard to read, but is definitely a good one to raise awareness toward change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The style helps keep the harshness at a distance, but it affects the readers nonetheless - Korea needs change !

      Delete
  5. I need to read this. 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always interested in books about the real lives of women, whether they are nonfiction or fiction. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one, and all the more appalling that it's fairly recent history...

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds like it's good and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I find most disturbing is that it's relatively recent history (for me !).

      Delete