2021-03-04

Arthur Conan DOYLE : The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Sherlock Holmes #4

This collection contains the following short stories :
Silver Blaze
The Adventure of the Yellow Face
The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk
The Adventure of the "Gloria Scott"
The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual
The Adventure of the Reigate Squires
The Adventure of the Crooked Man
The Adventure of the Resident Patient
The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter
The Adventure of the Navel Treaty
The Final Problem
 
 

 
What more can I say than I loved this short stories collection ? It's no mystery I'm an Arthur Conan Doyle big fan and those short stories that I read on my Kindle, at night,  when sleep wouldn't come, made me want to not sleep and just go on reading ! Bad choice of night book, great choice of entertaining, funny and adventurous short stories. 
One particularly stood out from the rest, not for the mystery itself but for its originality regarding race issues. I won't spoil anything but I was very happily surprised regarding the era.

Watson on Holmes's indoor pistol practice :
"When I find a man who keeps his cigars in the coal-scuttle, his tobacco in the toe end of a Persian slipper, and his unanswered correspondence transfixed by a jack-knife into the very centre of his wooden mantelpiece, then I begin to give myself virtuous airs. I have always held, too, that pistol practice should be distinctly an open-air pastime."
 
One very funny quote in my opinion about a typical Sherlock Holmes deduction :
""I perceive that you are not yourself a member of the family.” 
Our acquaintance looked surprised, and then, glancing down, he began to laugh. “Of course you saw the JH monogram on my locket,” said he. “For a moment I thought you had done something clever." Pour Holmes ! 😂"

14 comments:

  1. I recently read and reported on one of the many Sherlock Holmes cookbooks, especially the scene in the "Adventure of the Naval Treaty" where Mrs.Hudson brings breakfast to Holmes and Watson after their night's activities. I should really reread all the stories-- it's been a while since I did.

    be safe... mae at maefood at blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, I don't remember Holmes ever paying much attention to food but I know an essay has been written (don't remember the title or author) about his use of trains :) But it's because my father and my sister used to work for the French railsways !

      Delete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it. Listening to all of SH a few years ago was a great experience. That's why I decided to do the same with Hercule Poirot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need to listen to more audiobooks (I have a few here somewhere), but I have finished all those I had by Agatha Christie - with the great Hugh Fraser as the narrator :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a Sherlock Holmes book in decades and I have no good excuse! My parents keep trying to get me to watch the latest TV series, which they say is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Sherlock, it's absolutely awesome ! I also loved the tribute paid to the "old" series with Jeremy Brett in the credits, nice touch.

      Delete
  4. I never read any books by Arthur Conan Doyle and I'm sure I would enjoy them. I need to add them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you would love them , something to look forward to ;)

      Delete
  5. Yes! Love the old Sherlock Holmes short stories. Those quotes made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next is The hound of the Baskervilles, I'm excited !

      Delete
  6. It's been a while since I read one of these stories, but it's worth going back when I'm in a short story mood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, and it's easy to read just before bedtime ^^

      Delete
  7. I was listening to these on audiobook, Stephen fry narrates them and does an excellent job of them. It’s good to revisit Holmes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Stephen Fry ! And yes, Holmes is always so much fun :)

      Delete