2021-03-19

Agatha CHRISTIE : The moving finger - Miss Marple #3

The placid village of Lymstock seems the perfect place for Jerry Burton to recuperate from his accident under the care of his sister, Joanna. But soon a series of vicious poison-pen letters destroys the village's quiet charm, eventually causing one recipient to commit suicide. The vicar, the doctor, the servants — all are on the verge of accusing one another... 
 
 
 
Many readers are disappointed by this one because they all expect a Miss Marple mystery complete with plenty of Jane Marple on the inside and they are aghast to see, in fact, very little of her. I wasn't disappointed because, as much as I adore Miss Marple, the story itself and the characters were very engaging and I read it delightfully, with tea and biscuits on the side.

It's the classic poison-pen story : people receive degrading letters and everybody is at loss as to who wrote them - or conjecturing wildly. This takes place into one of these villages where people all know each other and can't believe one of them did it but are quick to suspect everyone. The whole case is told from the point of view of Jerry Burton, ex-pilot who came to Lymstock with his sister for peace and quiet in order to recover from a war accident. Little did he expect what he found ! 

I loved every minute of it, the atmosphere, the suspicion, the characters, Agatha Christie's wonderful sense of humour, such as in these quotes :
 
"In novels, I have noticed, anonymous letters of a foul and disgusting character are never shown, if possible, to women. It is implied that women must at all cost be shielded from the shock it might give their delicate nervous systems.
I am sorry to say it never occurred to me not to show the letter to Joanna."

"What on earth is this ?"
"Oh", said Joanna, "I think it's a photograph of a diseased spleen or something. Dr Griffith seemed to think I'd be interested to see it."
I looked at the photograph with some interest. Every man has his own way of courting the female sex. I should not, myself, choose to do it with photographs of spleens, diseased or otherwise."

Aaaaaaaah, so good !

12 comments:

  1. I loved this one!!!!! I remember I saw the adaptation before I've read the book and I wasn't all that crazy about it. But then I read the book and loved it. Think I need to read it again. Come to think of it, I haven't read an Agatha Christie so far this year. Will need to make a plan.

    Loved your review and I'm glad you also liked it.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but I am trying to read all of Christie's novels so I will get to it eventually. It sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ! I'm re-reading all of her novels too - I'm just starting with my physical ones :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I agree! The story is engrossing even without our favorite old lady knitting detective. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree, but you have good taste, I know ^^

      Delete
  4. I love British mysteries! The books (and TV shows) often take place in small villages where everyone knows everyone and when it's a series, I always wonder how there are so many people available in the village to die/be murdered. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same too, especially with the Midsomer murders - such pretty villages but also such a high murder rate !

      Delete
  5. Great presentation. After I finish listening to all of Hercule Poirot, I plan to do the same with Miss Marple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great plan ;) I watched the whole Miss Marple series (the latest) and I've almost finished Poirot, it makes me take patience until I read all the novels - and takes my mind away from Covid...

      Delete
  6. I remember when I read this one, I was surprised that Miss Marple shows up so late in the story. But, the story was so good that it did not matter. I look forward to getting back to Miss Marple mysteries. Recently I have been concentrating on Hercule Poirot novels.

    I love the book cover you included in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I've read it before and had completely forgotten that Miss Marple was in it :) I love the series of cover used for that edition, very vintage !

      Delete