2021-01-16

For a better world, for a better life : the beginning of my new series of posts on saturdays

 

What do you think of my mushroom ? I bet you've never seen the likes of it ! I love it, my eldest daughter offered it to me as we visited the medieval Christmas market of Provins 3 years ago - it has been cancelled the last 2 years (guess why). I wanted to picture it as icon of my health section on this blog, because it's not a gorgeous mushroom, it's a moody mushroom, a cranky mushroom, an imperfect mushroom, as I am.
 
What will be in this health section ?
My morning routine in the bathroom, in our home, physical exercises (musculation and yoga - don't be afraid, it's light, I'm not crazy), what I chose to eat and drink and, more importantly, how I organise myself (Bullet journal included but also bookish bullet journal ^^) in order to keep as sane as possible, have a better life, help make a better world, discover new things, refrain from eating too much when I'm stressed (good luck with that...) and have prevented me, I think, from being as unhealthy as I was before (chronical colds, chronically voiceless in winter, chronical sinusitis among other things). These are subjects that have taken up my interest for years now. I built a routine that I'm mostly faithful to , I have links and Youtube channels that I follow (or try to), but somehow, if it has improved parts of my life, it could be better. As a librarian, I work with my colleague who handles the mental health books section and I handle the physical health books section, it helps !
 
I'm not telling you you have to do the same as me, it's a proposition, I'm just offering an insight on what makes people think I'm a weirdo because I don't act the same as them, lol ! I'm trying to list (I love lists) what makes my life better, how to improve it, look for answers, hoping you'll have suggestions too - because I would like to hear your points of view, the things you do, an interaction, openings ? I'm not looking for perfection, nooooo sirrrah (Wilkie Collins really did a trick on me), I'm trying to be better because the way our lives mostly go, it's not heading in the right direction and nothing/nobody will make it right for us if we don't take action. I know my life could be better now but I have some things that make it nearly impossible for me to improve, like when in a dream, or in the sea, you're trying to run but forces prevent you no matter how hard you try : it's the same here - yet the keyword is "nearly". It's not impossible.

Let me introduce myself to make you understand : 
Hi, I'm Iza, 55 since last december 9th, overweight librarian, which is why I remain home these days, I'm more likely to catch Covid so I have a special authorisation and work from my computer. I used to  have just a few pounds too much when I was a young adult, many diets and family worries have led me to overweight : I compensated all my worries by eating, I also eat when I'm tired and don't listen to what my body says (like, go to sleep). I never expressed myself enough, kept all my worries and fears inside not to bother anyone - wrong move. My father died of a heart attack 19 years ago, my mother died of Alzheimer's 3 years ago after 16 long years of decline that I could do nothing about. Believe me, my heart has been torn out and I fully understood since then the power that words can have over you. I just think about *that* one word and I'm on the verge of tears. I've lived through a divorce, have found another companion who works in nursing homes, have raised 2 beautiful and intelligent daughters who are now 19 and 17 and who are the apples of my eyes - with my cats =^.^=
 
When I started diets (I was what, 20 ? I wish I could regain the weight I had then !), I started informing myself by reading everything I could on food and health in general. I've seen food fashions and dietings come and go, kept what I thought was better for me, what was closer to common sense and my ethics. Many members of my family by marriage have died of cancer, too many, but it includes those of my blood family who lived with them. Knowing that and them, I firmly believe that the polluted world we live in, what we eat, how we live, has almost everything to do with bad health if you don't take genetics into account. If it doesn't, it can't hurt to try and make it better, can it ?
 
Well, this is a long speech to tell you about what's going to be here, I would like to hear from you now. Does that interest you ? Would you like to exchange on that subject in the comments (you don't have to) ? Are there points that interest you more than others ? Food organisation, physical exercices, yoga, bullet journal or anything else ? Do you have nothing particular to say but would like to read about health anyway - or not, tell me !


 
 


14 comments:

  1. Hi my friend! Just sorting out your thoughts and putting it down on paper, is one huge step. It's good to "get to know you" a bit better. Our struggles, our hopes and our day to day living is what makes us the people we are.

    Keep up with bettering your world every Saturday. It will show.


    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mareli :) I hope there will be progress but I'm in no hurry as long as the progress remains for a long time !

      Delete
  2. I look forward to more of your posts on this topic. I just commented on your review of Murderbot post and signed up to follow you on bloglovin. My current post is on my favorite books I read in 2020. Come on over and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra, I just added you to my Bloglovin' feed so I won't miss your posts :)

      Delete
  3. Hey, Iza!

    I didn't realize you were blogging again or I'd have dropped by sooner.

    I am so encouraged by your post and sharing your goals, your plans, and your background for getting back to good health. I stress eat, too, and I've had poor health since I worked an office job and didn't exercise properly while eating very poorly.
    Lately, I've been doing better with the eating and exercise, but still a long way to go and I completely let my exercise slide during the holidays. Working on doing better now and plan to add stretching to my usual walking routines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia, it's good to see you again ! I commented on your post through Bloglovin' but I don't think it ever worked, I'll go directly to your blog ! Stress is the cause of many of my problems, yoga and breathing helped me a lot already. And stretching feels so good ! I wish you a happy and healthy year :)

      Delete
  4. I wish you well in your quest. I'd be happy to read health / exercise posts ... I've been doing virtual exercise classes since last year .... some weeks are better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I love following virtual classes, you can schedule them when you have the time - and space - to concentrate ^^ Like you, some weeks are better than others which is why I'm kicking myself into action now !

      Delete
  5. It's nice to know more about you and your life Iza. I mainly exercise by walking every day, for about an hour at least, but I'm lucky to have scenic walks on my doorstep. I love sweet things, especially in winter and I know that to lose weight I just have to stop eating the biscuits and chocolate. Anything marketed by the diet industry is poison, they don't want you to succeed! Gardening also helps me to keep fit and is good for my mental health but isn't possible in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, I used to love gardening when I had a garden, it was so relaxing. And I made friend with a robin ;) I agree with you on the diet industry, they're providing ready made food that contains a lot of water instead of fat or ingredients that are not so good for your health and sell them at very high prices...

      Delete
  6. Wow, thanks for your courageous sharing, and I realize we are almost the same age, am turning 55 in March. I totally agree on how our health is impacted by what we eat. I try to cook from scratch as much as possible, and we are fortunate to have a little garden, where we grow all kinds of good veggie. Plus it's a nice exercise.
    Looking forward to reading more on your plans, with a chance to encourage you.
    So sorry to hear you had to go through all this in your life.
    One easy daily exercise that's a good beginning is this Japanese program, that used to be very popular all over Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ZRH9Mraqw Once you have seen it once, you can turn off the volume. I also slow it down, it's seems more efficient for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, gardening and eating vegetables from your own garden, I hope I'll be able to do it again in the future (my carrots were the best on Earth ^^). Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it. It's funny, when my daughter and I watch videos on Seoul and Korea, there are a lot of exercise machines in the parks and they're always very popular. In France, we have a few "parcours de santé" but not enough.

      Delete
  7. I'm always interested in health. I'm sad that I cannot go to the Y where I enjoyed the company of others in my yoga and swim classes. I hope I will get a chance to see these new posts on health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I tried to join a yoga club but where I live, there is none available on mondays, which is my day off, so I watch a lot of Youtube ^^

      Delete