2021-01-04

Booktuber shoutout : Lucy from Lucy the Reader

Lucy made me discover Booktube, so I'm very grateful to her - I didn't know Booktube existed before I found her channel in autumn 2019 ! Yes, I know, I can be slow. I just remember searching the word Brontë - of course - and bam, here she was and a new world opened up to me.

At the beginning of her channel, she was focusing mostly on Young Adult literature, which is not my go to genre. But she is also very interested in general literature, particularly in classics. A writer herself, she has released two books in a series and a third should be published in 2021.

In 2018, she was the Brontë Society's Young Ambassador and posted several videos on her (and my) beloved Brontës. But also, she created the #classicsathon, the #classicscommunity and she's one of the co-creators of the famous #victober (Victorian october).
 
If you want to read classic novels, Victorian authors, but don't know where to start, she has very good recommendations, see below her video of classics for beginners :


In 2020, she issued a challenge to read classics, created a Goodreads group that extended way outside Goodreads for those who wanted to - or had the time to, which wasn't my case. I didn't participate in the readalongs, but I read a lot of classics including some she recommended in other videos and was quite happy with her suggestions. I'll post a list this week to wrap them all up.

For 2021, she has issued another challenge on the Goodreads group/everywhere. You can take part in it even if you only read one classic during the year, so I think it's quite manageable ! Her tastes and literary horizons have broadened, which is very good, I'm all for discovery. I'll be participating this year, also, with my own classics. I have so many on my shelves that need reading ! Here is her choice :
 


14 comments:

  1. I didn't know about Booktube either, thanks for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just regret there isn't a special channel with all booktubers, it would be easier than having to look for them :)

      Delete
  2. I love Booktubers. I remember watching them several years ago. I had no idea they were still popular now. That was definitely how I learned about new books to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm late at the party, it seems, lol ! But it's a fun and easy way to keep up with new releases as well as finding a community of people with the same tastes :)

      Delete
  3. There are some great Booktubers out there! Concentrating on classics is nice too because so many of us struggle with reading those. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started watching Booktube because of new releases, but it gave me back the knack to read classics :)

      Delete
  4. Booktubers are new to me. Must check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many of them, I didn't believe it at first - but it makes sense :)

      Delete
  5. I don't watch much Booktube but this channel sounds unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good channel indeed, I learned a lot watching it :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this shoutout. I'm very interested in checking out Victober :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) Victober has almost become an all-year-readalong for me !

      Delete
  7. Lucy sounds like the perfect Booktuber for classics lovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, she's passionate and has different tastes for those who want more :)

      Delete