2020-12-11

Anthony TROLLOPE : Christmas day at Kirkby cottage

An eligible bachelor is invited to spend a fortnight at a clergyman's cottage during Christmas. The clergyman has a daughter in age of marrying. Trouble ensues.

I know this short story didn't get a high rating on Goodreads and I understand why : it's very simple,  it's predictable and the female love interest has a stupid reaction that doesn't ingratiate her much to us.

But I'll stick to my rating and I'll tell you why :

- First, I love Anthony Trollope, he's become one of my favourite Victorian authors in just three novels and he could rewrite the phone directory, I would read it. Even buy two copies, in the case someone would borrow it and not return it.

- Second, I read it just after I struggled through The way of all flesh by Samuel Butler and it felt like a much needed breath of fresh air ! Finally, normal people ! A clergyman who didn't beat his children ! A gallery of well balanced people !

- Third, it was a sweet short story and it doesn't hurt to read some now and then. I hate pink, I don't have a romantic bone in my body, but sweet can be good.

- Fourth, I didn't mind the stupid move : she was surprised, it happens. I can remember (with shame) a couple of times in my (long) life when I was saying things I didn't think, realised what I was saying when I was saying it, thought it wrong, but kept saying it, as if my mouth was independant from my brain. I'm not proud of it, I'm just saying it's human. And it's a short story, you don't have to suffer long.

So, to sum it up : not the greatest short story in the universe, but written  by one of  he greatest writers of his time, with the usual tenderness he shows toward his imperfect characters and I enjoyed reading it very much.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this. Trollope is one of my favourite Victorian authors too, but I haven't read any of his short stories yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A recent post by a blogger made me think it would be a quick, seasonal read - and Trollope ^^

      Delete
  2. I also love Trollope but for some reason I haven't read anything by him this year. He's head and shoulders above Dickens in my opinion, and was a much nicer human being too! I'll have to seek out this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read much Dickens yet and know little about his life, but you can feel Trollope loves his characters and often finds them at least one good side, even when they are no nice people :) And I love his sense of humour !

      Delete
  3. I've never read this author but I've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading his Barsetshire chronicles and was hooked right from the start :)

      Delete
  4. After his Christmas at Thompson Hall, I can't wait to read this one. My 2021 is filling up but I think I might get back to him in 2022 and do another Trollope project. Thanks for this review .... it's nice to read about Christmasy things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this one thanks to your review, Cleo ;)

      Delete