2020-12-26

Anthony TROLLOPE : Christmas at Thompson Hall

In Anthony Trollope's "Christmas at Thompson Hall", a British matron is intent on traveling to her ancestral home for Christmas Eve in spite of her husband's sore throat. In an attempt to alleviate his symptoms, she raids the hotel pantry to make a mustard-poultice to apply to his throat. When she gets lost on the way back to her room she makes a terrible mistake that will put a British gentleman's sense of charity to the test. This timeless holiday classic is a hilarious description of Victorian mores in the context of the holiday season.


Better than his Christmas at Kirby Cottage, that I already loved reading earlier this month. 
This short story is a comedy of errors, not so much about Christmas as the title infers as happening around Christmas time, with a family gathering at the end. This was absolutely hilarious. I think I'll have to quit reading Trollope on my kindle when I can't sleep because it's hard to refrain from laughing out loud ! Finding out what  the characters thought when everything occurred was delightful.
I highly recommend it, even if you don't read it at Christmas !

2 comments: