2020-10-22

Philip PULLMAN : The subtle knife - His dark materials #2

What is he ? A friend or an enemy ? He is a murderer. Will has just killed a man. He's on the run. His escape will take him far beyond his own world, to the eerie disquiet of a deserted city, and to a girl, Lyra. Her fate is strangely linked to his own, and together they must find the most powerful weapon in all the worlds...


Well, well, well...

I loved the first book so much that this one was a big, big disappointment. Where is Lyra ? Such a strong character, lively, jumping out of the page in book #1, such an almost tearful little girl in here. She was the leader, here she steps aside (or rather, follows obediently) Will, whom I didn't like that much. I can see why he is how he is, but still.

The plot also let me down, the second half of the novel was better than the first, which is why I rated it 3 stars rather than the original 2, but still. And angels ! I don't like angels in books as a general rule. I only like Castiel. I know now this deals with religion, but angels... No, not my thing.

This episode ends up on a cliffhanger but I'm not tempted to pick the third book just yet. I probably will, later, at the library. I have plenty of books on my shelf that interest me more now.

I expected so much more... Disappointed I am.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment