2020-07-16

My week in books (not only, more films than books here !) 28








Just like each month, a Penguin Little Black Classic - this time, N° 4
The title has always appealed to me ! Not that I have any nefarious intention...



I rewatched Pride and prejudice 2005 adaptation and like the last time, I think it's absolutely beautiful visually, the cast is excellent... except... Kiera Knightley. I have a problem with her pouty lips and her "I'm showing my teeth as if I'm about to bite" smile. So you see, it's personal. If there had been another actress, I would have loved it even if the 1995 mini-series with Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth is always my favourite so far.

Then I rewatched the 1995 version of Sense and sensibility by Ang Lee with Emma Thompson and absolutely loved it. It was a treat - but I love the mini-series too. A pure pleasure, acting, landscape, everything.


While I'm there, I watched Ang Leej's "Lust, Caution" film. Ifever you are to watch this, please do so far from kids. Several scenes are NC17 hence not at all suitable for children. However, being filmed by Ang Lee, I saw it and found it to be a compelling story of treachery, doubt, passionate love, in a time where China, Hong-Kong and Japan were conflicted, with some Chinese people working for the Japanese (traitors from the Chinese point of view, obviously). It's a beautiful film, beautifully filmed, with takes place in 1942 occupied Hong Kong, Shanghai. And it doesn't end well, it couldn't. I loved it, but please mind that it's very different from Sense and sensibility (on the steamy side).

Then, for the #JaneAustenJuly2020, I watched for the first time Bride and prejudice - a modern retelling from 2002 (where I spotted actors from Gilmore Girls, Lost and The vampire diaries) and had a lot of fun. My favourite parts were those filmed in India : I loved the music, the dances and the colours and it made me long to go back to my favourite Indian restaurant - even if I often cook Indian cuisine. A very good discovery !


Because I am soon to read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (#JaneAustenJuly again), I took the opportunity of watching this, since I know close to nothing about the Shelleys - it's a beautiful film about non conformist people :

A modern retelling of Pride and prejudice that I had never seen is Clueless : it's done now ! Not my favourite type of film, but it was funnier than I expected :


Katie from Books and things published another great video (her videos are great in general and I learned a lot with her) about the parents in Jane Austen - really interesting :

And because I first watched Black sails and started re-reading Treasure island, Ollie and P.E. suggested on Goodreads that I should watch Treasure planet : Captain Flint has 6 eyes and Long John Silver is a cyborg !


A hilarious video from Claudia on "How not to be a lady"


And now, for something completely different, here's the present I bought myself for my first Jane Austen July :
It's on my bookshelf and will remain there, out of range of my boyfriend, my daughters and my cats (especially 3 of them) because I want to keep it intact !


No comments:

Post a Comment