2020-07-20

Jo BAKER : Longbourn


'If Elizabeth Bennet had the washing of her own petticoats,' Sarah thought, 'she would be more careful not to tramp through muddy fields.'
It is wash-day for the housemaids at Longbourn House, and Sarah's hands are chapped and raw. Domestic life below stairs, ruled with a tender heart and an iron will by Mrs Hill the housekeeper, is about to be disturbed by the arrival of a new footman, bearing secrets and the scent of the sea.



As you probably already know, this is a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice, but seen from the servants' point of view. The story takes place in parallel with P&P, so it's best if you've read Jane Austen's novel before, you already know what is happening upstairs.

Right from the beginning, it's less shiny and sparkly. The weather is cold, it's raining, there is dirt and mud (at best) everywhere, but it's also very atmospheric : you feel the life around the Bennet family, the animals, the plants, the wind, something that was missing from the original novel, as much as I love it.
I enjoyed the writing style, seeing Mr Collins as a nice guy appreciated by the servants - they cuddle him, he's next in line to inherit the house when Mr Bennet dies. The plot was interesting, Mr and Mrs Hill were a nice old couple, Polly/Mary the very young maid was a nice girl and Sarah too, with her taste for reading and her dreams of a different life : likable characters. James was mysterious but not my favourite but I hesitate to say so here (spoiler). Not a thoroughly bad guy, though. Not like *that* character who was really creepy.
I was also amused by the fact that the novel (one book) includes 3 volumes, like when books were published at the time. Nice touch.

So why not 5 stars ? Because there were some cruel words and attitudes from the Bennet family that I didn't think matched the original characters. You expect that from some people, careless or selfish, but not from others. Also because of the part when James evokes his past, I didn't care much about it even if I understand that Longbourn speaks about what is untold in P&P : servants and soldiers. Where once they were brushed upon, now you have the details, but as to James's story, I think it dragged a little. In a very pragmatic point of view, I also found it odd that a servant with bleeding hands might be allowed to approach ladies's dresses and hair !

However, I really loved this retelling, it only took me 2 days to read it and I was glad to discover that, in spite of my prejudices (see the punt ?), retellings can be good ! Recommended for all Jane Austen lovers - and probably others, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment