2020-04-28

Tasha ALEXANDER : A poisoned season - Lady Emily #2


London's social season is in full swing, and the aristocracy can't stop whispering about a certain gentleman who claims to be the direct descendant of Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette. Drawing rooms, boudoirs and ballrooms are also abuzz with the latest news of an audacious cat burglar who has been making off with precious items that once belonged to the ill-fated queen.
But light gossip turns serious when the owner of one of the pilfered treasures is murdered and the thief develops a twisted obsession with Lady Emily Ashton, whose reputation and private life are threatened by a brewing scandal...


I came upon this book at my library where it was given, in a good physical state, by a reader. So I read it because it is a book #2 and I wanted to know if I could put in on the shelves without having read book #1 - and if it was good enough. It was and I will.

However, it was a nice read but not much more. People who love historical mysteries with ladies sprinkled with feminism and agents working for the government will probably love it. But I didn't feel compelled to read book #1 and the others. The characters were nice enough, the plot nice enough, the second half was better than the first, with more emotional depth, but it remains a nice enough read. If you're in a book slump and need something easy to read on a rainy day, it's probably for you. It made me laugh a couple of times, smile others, yet I'm not hugely attracted to the series. I"ve read a lot of classics recently, maybe this is why it's hard for me to fall back on more "historical contemporary" books, if I may say.

Lots of Goodreads readers loved it, you probably will, give it a try and let me know !

No comments:

Post a Comment