2020-03-11

Suzanne WRIGHT : Here be sexist vampire - Deep in your veins #1

Sam Parker is a vampire with a gift so strong and substantial that she is invited to partake in a test for a place in the Grand High Master Vampire’s private army. She finds that not only has the army never included a woman, but it has never included a Sventé vampire ; a breed that is regarded by the super strong Pagori breed and the hypnotically beautiful Keja breed to be too tame and human-like. Most refuse to take her seriously, especially a Pagori commander named Jared who she craves in spite of herself.
The Grand High Master, however, sees her potential and offers her the position of Jared’s co-commander to help train the newest squad in time for the impending attack on his home. Sam has to demonstrate to Jared and the squad of chauvinists why it is incredibly foolish to underestimate a willful, temperamental, borderline-homicidal Sventé female.



It was a freebie and it was written by an author whose Phoenix pack series I loved when I was deep in a long book reading slump, the worse in my life. I loved that series, especially the first, that was sexy-hot and made me laugh.
But...
I'm out of said reading slump now and lately, I picked a Phoenix pack book from my library and it fell out of my hands. That was bad, very bad, but I thought maybe it was the translation. To finally make up my mind, I got this freebie and yes, it's bad. The main character is rude and snarky, she got on my nerves very quickly, the guys around her are caricatural, the one liners are... out of line ! I got as far as when she was hired by the equivalent of the vampire president (yes, she's being rude to him too but apparently, it makes him laugh). The gay assistant is caricatural too.
I sighed too many times and gave up reading it. I think I'm completely over PNR. No regrets !

No comments:

Post a Comment