2020-01-14

Bram Stoker : Dracula - book review

Young lawyer Jonathan Harker journeys to Transylvania to meet with the mysterious Count Dracula only to discover that his nobleman client is a vampire who is thirsty for new blood. After imprisoning Harker in his castle, Dracula travels to England to seduce Jonathan’s fiancée, Mina, and the battle against an ineffable evil begins. Led by philosopher and metaphysician Professor Van Helsing - Dracula’s most indomitable adversary - Harker, Mina, and a band of allies unite, determined to confront and destroy the Count before he can escape.



A long, long time ago, I had read a short story of Dracula back in high school and I felt that I would love to read it entirely. Then, I'm also in the middle of a "British literature" trend and it was a group read on Goodreads for the #Classicscommunity 2020 reading challenge.

And I was pleasantly surprised, because in spite of the old fashioned way of talking (and some attitudes, people throwing themselves on their knees with their hands joined in prayer, for instance), i found the story was told in a very modern way. Indeed, you have several points of views (yes, like in the Moonstone, I know) : diaries (ready by everybody), newspaper articles, telegrams and even a diary recorded on a gramophone, the top of the top way back then !

And I wasn't bored at all. I thought after the short beginning like a tourist guide, you get into the story very quickly and, apart from the comings and goings of Van Helsing between England and Holland (to go looking for information ?) that seemed to happen right when he should have stayed, the blood transfusions that would make a modern doctor shiver, Lucy's mother removing all the garlic from her room because nobody told her that nooooooo, she shouldn't do that !!!!, and some other things like "what a woman this Mina, she has the brains of a man", in fact, I really enjoyed myself !

No comments:

Post a Comment