2021-01-22

Agatha CHRISTIE : The murder of Roger Ackroyd

Mrs. Ferrars poisoned her husband... But no one suspected her except her blackmailer... until she committed suicide, leaving a letter to the man she loved.
Roger Ackroyd never finished reading it, for the blackmailer had turned to a new crime, murder. And no one suspected him either... no one but Hercule Poirot.
 

This is a re-read, I remembered perfectly who the murderer was so this time, instead of reaching the end and gasping and wondering how could I ever have missed that, I thoroughly enjoyed watching how Agatha Christie avoided the big reveal. What more can I say ? This is so charmingly British ? Poirot is so deliciously friendly (except when he mentions Hastings at the beginning, ouch !) ? There are, as usual, so many suspects with a perfect motive ? Caroline is such a funny gossip ? 
This novel is simply delightful, I enjoyed myself immensely !


18 comments:

  1. I'm on a mission to read more A.C., This week is #1 Miss Marple, Murder at the Vicarage - need to start it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds good, I haven't reached this one yet :)

      Delete
  2. It's to sometimes to reread a murder mystery and discover the various clues you missed on the first read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I never try really hard to guess who the murderer is (it's always revealed at the end !), but in that case, it was worth it ^^

      Delete
  3. Agatha Christie has always been the queen of mysteries and crime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she even invented the big reveal at the end with all the suspects gathered !

      Delete
  4. Neat that you're re-reading Agatha Christie books. I finished a couple last fall and want to grab up a few more this year. I remember the first time I read this one and was shocked at who the murderer was. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember too, I don't think anybody saw that coming !

      Delete
  5. I've heard this is one of the better Christies? I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best, indeed - even if my favourite (so far) remains And then there were none ^^

      Delete
  6. I've add a few Christies to my tbr for this year. I'll add this to the list too, it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you'll have fun with Dame Agatha, I always find her books a mood lifter - don't we need it now !

      Delete
  7. This was my very first Agatha Christie and I will never forget it!! Such a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't forgotten it either - than and that short story about a scary doll :D !

      Delete
  8. I’m ashamed to admit I have never read this author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's no shame or obligation, she's a comfort read for me and reminds me of my long gone youth ^^ And I love the atmosphere of her novels and her sense of humour :)

      Delete
  9. Like you, I just re=read Roger Ackroyd to see how Christie misdirected the audience so they wouldn't guess who-done-it! What fun.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did absolutely great, didn't she ? You have to admire that ^^

      Delete