2020-11-15

My week in books (not only) #44 - The sunday post


 
 
 
Hi, I'm linking back to The sunday post held by Kim, The Caffeinated Reviewer. Click on the links to access her post and discover plenty of great bloggers who are dying to share their book reviews, and other things, with you ! 
 
Last week, I switched computers and having starting to comment bloggers on last sunday's post on one, found myself commenting on the other computer on the previous sunday post...  I forgot to refresh the page. Oh well, I need more coffee ! Last wednesday, I also told my bookshop I would come pick up the books I ordered in the afternoon, but as it was November 11th, of course, everything was closed. More coffee ? I had also forgotten to include Agatha Christie in my last Sunday post, it's done now. Phew. Hopefully, I forgot nothing more.

And this sunday, once again, on the 15th of november, my windows are once again wide open on the sunny countryside - just like the whole week (month ?). Have a beautiful sunday !

 
Enamoto/Muro : Le puissant dragon vegan #1 (manga)

Agatha Christie : The secret of Chimneys (Superintendant Battle #1)

Faith Martin : A fatal obsession (Ryder & Loveday #1)
a cosy mystery set in Oxford in the 1960s


Min Jin Lee : Pachinko
A family saga covering 4 generations of Koreans living in Japan
 


Syrie James : The secret diaries of Charlotte Brontë
for my Brontë mania - e-book from the library
 
Julia Chapman : Date with malice (The Dales detectives series #2)
I enjoyed book #1 very much, so I borrowed this one from the library
 

Hiro Arikawa : The travelling cat chronicles
 
Patrick Rothfuss : The name of the wind
(The kingkiller chronicles #1) - e-book from the library
 
Watched :
 
This week, I watched Rebecca by Alfred Hitchcock :

because I watched this new version afterwards :
I then came to the conclusion that the novel was the best ! This "new" ending is a bit conventional and might please those who have never read the book, but I found it predictable and a bit boring. The ending in the novel is original and powerful, the whole novel is powerful ! Since some of the dialogue was the same in both versions, I began to wonder if it was true to the book and realized I've read it 3 years ago already, so I probably will re-read it soon - because I want to check the film dialogues, remember the plot but also because Rebecca fits my Brontë mania plan : first wife, burning house and all that. And it's a treat.

My boyfriend and I have been binge-watching this awesome Netflix series, 
which I highly recommend if you haven't watched it yet :

On the net :
 
Before Great-Britain went back to lockdown, Kate from the Youtube channel Books and things had the opportunity to visit Jane Austen's house in Chawton, she shares her tour with us :

Jen Campbell posted a video to discuss about disfigurement and villainy, because of the film The Witches and the instructions that kids were given to look out for "real witches" who can be noticed by a list of  physical disfigurements... What about people who have real disfigurements and are *not* villains ?! I love her youtube channel, she's a beautiful person and her videos are a joy to watch :

If you love classics and want to have a good laugh, please watch Claudia and Robin :

And now, for something completely different, here are some Spanish guitars and night plazas - let's travel in music with the beautiful voice of Loreena McKennitt, have a peaceful and beautiful sunday :






22 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoy beautiful weather, too, Iza. It's so nice, isn't it? I think the sun is what is saving my sanity these days...
    Your new books look great, I hope you'll enjoy them.
    Have a wonderful week ahead and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And today again : sun shining, windows open.. and cats basking in the sun.. and on my keyboard ! Thanks Linda :)

      Delete
  2. I wish we had some sun here, today has been very dreary with plenty of rain and wind. That's too bad about the computer mix up you had last week when commenting, at least you caught it eventually. I hope you'll have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a kind of storm sunday - I even told my youngest that it was the perfect day to wash the car but she didn't want to :) Thanks Lola !

      Delete
  3. The weather is starting to heat up here with summer on its way.
    I’ve lost rack when commenting more than once :)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelleyrae, I'll do better next time, lol ;)

      Delete
  4. The wind is howling here and bringing cold. Enjoy your open windows! So lovely. I enjoy Patrick Rothfuss. Now I need to check out your TV recommendations :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a storm ! But it's gone, sun and warmth are back. I hope you enjoy the recommendations, Kim ;)

      Delete
  5. Iza, sorry to hear you've had a rather forgetful week, I think we all those from time to time! I am rather jealous of your weather - It is wet and gloomy here! The perfect weather for those cosy crime books you've been enjoying though! I re-read Rebecca earlier this year and highly recommend you do the same. I also adore Alfred Hitchcock's film, so have little interest in watching the new adaptation. Take care and happy reading in the coming week. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan ;) And I read another cosy crime book set in the Yorkshire Dales, it's a very enjoyable series - review next week ^^ Thanks Jessica :-*

      Delete
  6. We have also had the most beautiful weather but this week is the big cool down with freezing at night. The days are still fine. Happy reading and stay well!

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, we also have cooler weather at night (fortunately !). And today is warm again while I'm thinking about Christmas presents...

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you are having nice weather today. We are too. Your books all look great. Enjoy them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne, I think you'd enjoy the Faith Martin series ;)

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your nice weather. I need to read The Name Of The Wind, but it’s intimidating! I hope you have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started reading The name of the wind yesterday evening, the beginning is just great, full of promises. My eldest daughter would hate it though - spiders !

      Delete
  9. I need to read more Agatha Christie, and I love old Hitchcock movies! You've given me some ideas now. :) Glad you were able to have the windows open! We were like that last week but now it's gotten colder and rainy. Starting to look like November around here lol.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A cold and rainy november, at least, is a rainy november ;) I adore Hitchcock, I've seen practically all his films and love his Alfred Hitchcock presents series. And Agatha Christie too. Thanks Greg !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Travelling Cat Chronicles! Such a wonderful, gentle story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope to get to it soon - along with my classics !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Commenting on the wrong Sunday Post sounds like something I would do, lol! I was just thinking about watching the new remake of Rebecca. I've read the book and watched the Alfred Hitchcock version many times. Don't hate me, but I like the film better than the book, haha!

    Thank you for following by email. I'll do the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I don't hate you ;) It was a gorgeous adaptation with beautiful scenery !

      Delete