2020-11-04

Ann GRANGER : A better quality of murder (Lizzie Martin #3)

London is shrouded in a pea-souper fog. Wandering in that fog, for reasons not fully established, was the beautiful Allegra Benedict, wife of an art dealer. When the fog clears, her murdered body is discovered in Green Park. How much does frightened little Miss Marchwood know ? Is there any connection with charismatic preacher, Joshua Fawcett ? Who - or what - is the River Wraith who preys on the prostitutes working the riverside on foggy nights ? 
Lizzie Martin and Ben Ross are now married and have set up home near to Waterloo Station. Ben, officially, and Lizzie, unofficially, must investigate...
 
 
This is book #3 in a Victorian mystery series I started reading only this year in June and I really enjoy it. 
 
It's probably not the best series in the world, however this novel was exactly what I wanted at the time I read it. I never try very hard to guess who the murderer is when I read mysteries because, if I'm patient enough, I'll know at the end ! Lazy I am. 
 
I read this type of books for relaxation, a nice break between classics, an exotic setting (XIXth century England against my XXIst century France, it's exotic to me), it's especially comfy when you're home and it's rainy and windy outside. This book, the sofa, a cat, a warm drink, no disturbance ? Perfection.
 
I also loved the characters, Ben and Lizzie of course, but also Bessie, Daisy, the women in general, mean or not. I could picture everything inside my head. I'll be happy to continue the series.
 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know this author, thanks, I'm going to have a closer look.
    As for Victorian mysteries, the TV series Murdoch Mysteries is fabulous - in English - I tried it in French, the voices they chose are absolutely awful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister loves it but I haven't watched it yet, I'll give it a try (in English !)

      Delete
  2. Ooh this sounds atmospheric and fun. A Victorian mystery... yes please. The River Wraith sounds spooky as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the smog, don't forget the smog ;)

    ReplyDelete