2020-10-15

Philip PULLMAN : Northern lights - His dark materials #1

“Without this child, we shall all die.”
Lyra Belacqua and her animal daemon live half-wild and carefree among scholars of Jordan College, Oxford. But the destiny that has awaited her since her birth takes her on a dangerous journey to the frozen North in search of a kidnapped friend. It is a journey that will have immeasurable consequences far beyond her own world…


One more book that I would probably have never read on my own, save for the warm praise of many Goodreaders/bloggers/youtubers. And I would have missed a lot !

Move over, Harry Potter, Lyra is here ! I mean, I like Harry Potter very much, but come on, Lyra is so great ! She's 12, opinionated, awfully brave, awfully curious, awfully clever, awfully eager to act, explore, prank, live ! Self-wallowing ? She doesn't know that exists but she's a practised liar. Of course, she's an orphan. Of course, she's educated by older people in a sort of academy (Oxford, but not the Oxford you know). Of course, she wants to explore the world and its mysteries. And of course, adventure upon adventure will come her eager way. It's supposed to be a children's book but it can be read on many levels, so adults are welcome (try and take a look at the Wikipedia page among other things, it's worth it). On the other hand, you can just enjoy it without looking for more. Your choice.

No, I haven't watched the film (yet) but I doubt it will live up to the book ?...  I'll try anyway, just out of curiosity, because I'm curious too.

What can I say that hasn't already been said ?... Nothing. Lyra's character is wonderful, Philip Pullman's writing is wonderful, the images it puts in your head are wonderful, the plot is wonderful, inventive, chilling, surprising : even if you think you know who/what will turn up, you're wrong ! When you've been a reader for many, many years, being surprised is so very welcome.

I have The subtle knife and The amber spyglass on my shelf, I think I'll be reading them quickly but not too quickly, I want to appreciate them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment