2020-07-28

P.G. WODEHOUSE : Jeeves and the feudal spirit - Jeeves #7

When Jeeves returns from his annual shrimping holiday in Bognor Regis, he's in for a few surprises. Down at Brinkley Court, Aunt Dahlia is trying to persuade the publishing magnate L.G. Trotter to buy her magazine, M'Lady's Boudoir. Trotter's nephew, the whiskered Percy Gorringe, is head over heels about Florence Craye whose engagement to Stilton Cheesewright has just been called off. Florence is convinced that Bertie wants to marry her and Stilton wants to break his spine in six places. To top it all, there is ill-feeling in the Wooster home over Bertie's attempts to grow a moustache ! What ho, Jeeves !


I had to wash my kitchen. Not fun. I thought, why not make this fun by forgetting about the washing while listening to a Jeeves audiobook ? I did and it worked !

It's been years since I last read a book by P.G. Wodehouse and since I was given two of his audiobooks, I thought it was time to remedy that. Those stories are usually so funny ! Jeeves and the feudal spirit totally is, and there's no need to read the series in order to understand anything, the plots are more or less the same : Bertie Wooster is an airhead, a nice airhead but an airhead anyway, he gets himself into all sorts of situations, can't find a solution, makes things worse, calls Jeeves (who knows everything about everything and is in possession of a brain) who finally helps him out. There is no doubt about who's the more intelligent man of the two. The series started in 1919 (a time when people needed a good laugh) and ended up in 1974. It was adapted on television with a 30s flavour with no other actors than Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry (look it up on Youtube, see below).

I had such a good time that I'm planning on washing another room of my appartment while listening to the other audiobook, that's how much I enjoyed it ! (A line that really made me laugh was when Bertie called Tolstoy "a bird" !).


No comments:

Post a Comment