2020-06-05

Barbara PYM : Excellent women

Mildred Lathbury is one of those 'excellent women' who is often taken for granted. She is a godsend, 'capable of dealing with most of the stock situations of life - birth, marriage, death, the successful jumble sales, the garden fete spoilt by bad weather'. As such, she often gets herself embroiled in other people's lives - especially those of her glamorous new neighbours, the Napiers, whose marriage seems to be on the rocks. One cannot take sides in these matters, though it is tricky, especially as Mildred, teetering on the edge of spinsterhood, has a soft spot for dashing young Rockingham Napier. This is Barbara Pym's world at its funniest and most touching.


Years ago, I tried reading Barbara Pym because I thought she wrote the kind of books I would enjoy. I don't remember if the novel I chose was "Jane and Prudence" or "Quartet in autumn", I barely remember what it was talking about, I only remember I was very disappointed and found it mostly boring.

But I'm a Celt, I'm stubborn, I was bound to try again - or, more elegantly phrased, give her another chance. As someone I follow loved that particular book, I thought it would be a good opportunity.

And again, the first part of the novel left me bored, but it got better in the second part. Sometimes I laughed, sometimes I smiled (I didn't find it a funny book, however), but there were several times I knew were designed to get a reaction out of me and it didn't happen. Barbara Pym being compared to Jane Austen didn"t feel right, I started reading Mansfield Park at the same time and just the beginning was so much better ! Jane Austen had so much wit, Barbara Pym's style is more discreet.

I finally finished it. I was mostly bored by Mildred's self deprecating tone, I felt sad for her at the same time, she wasn't without qualities but I'm afraid to say she was a doormat, used as a go-between between several people who never asked her permission first, expected to act or think a certain way and never rebelling against it - except when she bought that famous lipstick that I don't think she ever wore or ever will.

The second part was better, less boring, more action - if I may say so with such a novel. I smiled several times and really laughed when Mildred was taken to dinner to Everard's mother. I would have loved to read about the mother more, but it was a short scene.

It was a bitter-sweet story, I guess it could end in a worse manner. It seemed to agree with Mildred, so it's good ? I can't say I'm dying to read another novel by Barbara Pym, maybe it will happen, probably not, but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment