2020-05-30

George GISSING : The odd women

Virginia and Alice Madden are 'odd women', growing old alone in Victorian England with no prospect of finding love. Forced into poverty by the sudden death of their father, they lead lives of quiet desperation in a genteel boarding house in London. Meanwhile, their younger sister Monica struggles to endure a loveless marriage she agreed to as her only escape from spinsterhood. But when the Maddens meet an old friend, Rhoda Nunn, they are soon made aware of the depth of their oppression.
Astonishingly ahead of its time, The Odd Women is a pioneering work of early feminism. Gissing's depiction of the daring feminist Rhoda Nunn, it is an unflinching portrayal of one woman's struggle to reconcile her own desires with her deepest principles.

I read this novel for a group readalong that you can find here on Goodreads.
I have discovered George Gissing recently and heard that he was, as Katie from Books and things on Youtube calls him, the equivalent of Thomas Hardy in towns and a wonderful writer.

This novel completely blew my mind, I didn't expect it at all. It was the most unusual victorian novel I have ever read, with a strong feminist background.

The story develops the portrait of several women : two spinsters that have trouble finding their way in life, including one that loses her respectability ; two middle class women who own a school to help educated women find work - hence independance - by learning typewriting and gathering to listen to conferences about feminism ; one very young woman, who had to work early in life and ends up marrying an older man for comfort ; in the background, we also hear about Bella (I think it's her name), who gave up typewriting to become the mistress of a man who abandonned her which led to her suicide.
There are also men in here ! Not as many, but one professes free union between men and women (Barfoot - what a name) while the other, Widdowson, is a typical product of his time.

If you love romantic stories, you'll be highly disappointed ! I try to recall but can't find any really happy couple in this novel. Ah yes, I remember, there is one, but their love was put to the test for years and they dearly earned their happiness. Apart from them, it seems the only way women can find happiness, freedom or at the least satisfaction is by being alone : an independant widow or a working woman, or women working together.

The character of Rhoda Nunn, central to the story, is a complex one. At first, I didn't like her much. Her coldness to poor Bella's fate, her rigid principles didn't engage me. She didn't sound like a fanatic however, more like a young person who speaks of things she hasn't experienced : love while she's nearing her 30s. I didn't believe in the love between her and that other character : it sounded more to me like a battle of wills, like a contract negociated than love or passion. They felt to me intellectually interested in one another, but love ? No. The evolution of Rhoda's personality during the course of the novel was infinitely interesting : I liked her much better at the end.

And speaking about the end, it's the more depressing line I ever read that made me laugh so much ! I don't think it was intended for fun, but it was so ghastly that I had to laugh.

As a conclusion, I would really urge you to read The odd women : such an interesting subject, such a different novel, different character evolution interwoven, it's absolutely brilliant and I thank once again Katie and Marissa for initiating that readalong. And I need to learn more about George Gissing and read his other books.






No comments:

Post a Comment