2020-02-12

Nicci FRENCH : The people who went away - book review

At 8, you're still a child. At 8, you're still innocent.
When suddenly, the au pair disappears, soon followed by your elder sister, you ask questions. And when Daddy answers : "They went away", you believe it, because Daddy is nice and never lies.
Yes, but sometimes, appearances can be disappointing and a loving father can hide another...



This short story was actually from a bilingual edition but I read only the English part, which amounted roughly to 35 pages, which is really short.
The story is told from a little girl's point of view, the writing is according to the age, for example :
"Cats like being warm. Pippin lies in patches of sunlight and purrs. I think cats have nice lives. If I wasn't a girl, I would like to be a cat and lie on sunlight all day."
(OK, I also chose that quote because I love cats and I have two who also love lying in the sunlight. They're doing it just now.)

I didn't mind the style so much because it was really short, but my favourite problem was that I didn't get enough details on what happened and why. I know a little girl shouldn't know about those details, but being a big girl, I would have liked to know. And again, we don't learn much because it's a short story ! Poor girl, though, her world is turning upside down.
This is my first foray in the Nicci French couple universe, so it doesn't worry me much and I'm still looking forward to reading their Frieda Klein series.

No comments:

Post a Comment