2020-01-17

The Agatha Christie booktag

Guess what I found in my booktube subscriptions yesterday afternoon ?




Since I already started re-reading all of Agatha Christie's books, well, I jumped on the book tag, here it is :

1) How did you first get into reading Agatha Christie ? & which of her books did you read first ? 
My older sister is a fan, she had some of her books at home and I started reading them when I was a teen, then added more to her Christie shelf. I think the first I read was The murder of Roger Ackroyd, but I'm not certain, it was so long ago...

2) Have you read any books on Agatha and her life? (auto biographies, biographies etc) 
I read her biography by Janet Morgan, another by François Rivière and watched at least one documentary. I plan on reading her autobiography some time this year or the next.

3) Have you watched any adaptations of Agatha Christie’s books ; films, TV shows, plays etc ? If so do you have a favourite ?
Oh yes, I have watched everything I could ! Minus the plays, but lots of films and tv shows, Poirot, Marple, Tuppence and Tommy Beresford. My favourite so far is And then there were none :


4) Which book of Agatha Christie’s has your favourite villain ? 
I don't know if she's my favourite, but she's the one I remember the most : Lavinia Pinkerton in Murder is easy (and her reluctant accomplice, Wonky Pooh).

5) Which book of Agatha Christie’s would you like to read/re-read next? 
Since I'm re-reading all of her books by more or less chronological order, the next are already on my shelf : Poirot investigates, the it will be The man in the brown suit. But I'm looking forward to her more magical-mysterious stories, like in The pale horse.

6) Miss Marple or Poirot and explain your reasonings about your choice, also favourite non reoccurring character, so just one from one of the books that you loved ? 
Miss Marple, because she looks so harmless yet she's a cunning fox ! Nothing escapes her. But of course, I also have a fondness for Poirot who would dearly love to see square eggs because he likes things to be neat and tidy. 
My favourite non reoccurring character... I'm going to cheat and answer Ariadne Oliver, the writer. She's not the heroin, yet she appears in several stories. She's eccentric and funny, Agatha Christie obviously had a lot of fun writing her.

7) Agatha Christie also wrote as Mary Westmacott, have you read any of these books ? If so what did you think of them and were they like her other books ? 
Absent in the spring. This is the only one that I found back then at my library and though I read it many, many years ago, I remember it clearly and especially how it ended : dark humour indeed !There was no murder involved, but found some traits common to both her name - I think she didn't like women much.

7a)-Re the previous question, I am thinking about starting a book club to read these books, would you like to join me ? 
I'm planning on reading them anyway, so yes, it will be more fun !

8) There are quite a few books that feature Agatha as the character rather than the author, talk about the ones you have read and really enjoyed - if you have not then would you like to ? 
I haven't read any, sorry, and I'm not sure I would like to... But I have watched an episode of Dr Who featuring Agatha Christie, yay !

9) Do you have a favourite Agatha Christie book that you find yourself turning to again and again ? 
I'm afraid not (too many books on Earth, so little time to read them), but since I'm going to read them all, it might change.

10) She is known as the Queen of Crime, suggest another female crime author whom you like to read 
And now, for something completely different : Lisa Gardner. I've read all her books, but her universe has nothing to do with Agatha Christie's, it's much darker and grittier - and contemporary. In the cozy style, I would recommend Patricia Wentworth and her Miss Silver, like Lil did, and I remember reading Ngaio Marsh years and years ago.

10a) Do you prefer the 'Golden Age' style crime book or prefer a more modern take ?
It depends, I enjoy variety. The only constant is that I prefer British mysteries/thrillers, but classical or modern... well, that depends on the mood, if it's sunny or not, if I've been reading lots of books in one style and would love to change. It depends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment