2020-01-31

J. K. ROWLING : Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone (Harry Potter #1) - book review

Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy - until he is rescued by a beetle-eyed giant of a man, enrolls at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, learns to play Quidditch and does battle in a deadly duel. The reason : Harry Potter is a wizard !! Do you really need me to tell you what the story is about ? No, I didn't think so.



Am I a victim of the Potter mania ? Nope. Don't hit me. Are my boyfriend and daughters Potter maniacs ? Yes ! Coud I ever escape it ? I don't believe so, Harry Potter is everywhere. Have I seen all the Harry Potter films ? Yes. But only recently, last year.

Let me explain : many years ago, I read this very book because my sister loved it (she worked for the French railways and the French railways people really looooved the idea of Platform 9 3/4 among other things). And yes, I loved the book too but wasn't crazy about it. So I didn't read the others.

Then my daughters wanted to watch aaaaall the films (and wanted Hermione costumes, and wands, and collected Harry Potter Pop collectibles, etc etc etc). So we watched them : on sunday afternoons, just after the sunday meal, with our shutters closed for a better image when the weather was sunny, and I fell asleep each time confortably settled on the sofa, warm and cosy. Up until last year, when I felt I *had* to finally watch all of them if I wanted to be part of this world, I had never seen a Harry Potter film entirely, just bits and pieces.

So when Tom reads things launched his #HARRYPOTTER2020 challenge, I joined in.

And I don't regret re-reading Harry and the philosopher's stone, I love all the inventivity in this book, the humour, the whole universe. The film is very faithful to the book, I could watch the images in my head, but I've been told it's not been the same afterward and I'm looking forward to finding out how exactly.

Here was my confession, I feel I'm the last people on Earth who hadn't watched the films until 2019 and still hasn't read all the books !

- "What do you see when you look in the Mirror (of desire) ?
- I ? I see myself holding a pair of thick, wollen socks."
Harry stared.
- "One can never have enough socks", said Dumbledore. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."





No comments:

Post a Comment