2020-01-24

Charles Dickens : A Christmas carol

A Christmas Carol is a novella by English author Charles Dickens, first published by Chapman & Hall on 19 December 1843. The story tells of bitter and miserly Ebenezer Scrooge's ideological, ethical, and emotional transformation resulting from supernatural visits from Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come. 


OK, I hope you're all seated ? This is my very first book by Charles Dickens. Yes, I know, a British literature lover like me, who also loves classics, and no, never any Dickens ? I can't even believe it myself, but there it is. I only watched Mickey's Christmas carol, if I dare confess with shame...

I don't know why I had this idea that Dickens had no sense of humour, that his books were all about miserable people living their miserable lives, but I was right to start with this one that proved me wrong.

OK, between the beginning and the end, there were some miserable, moral things happening, but I found his writing livelier than I expected. The beginning was filled with humour (the "dead as a doornail" stuff, the grumpy Scrooge) and in the end, I could almost see Scrooge jumping in elation and kicking his heels ! It's a moral tale, so it's filled with good Christmasy feelings, but I loved reading it and now I'm prepared for more books by him. Dickens, beware, here I come !

No comments:

Post a Comment